Old 09-10-2015, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default where has everybody gone?

On 09/10/15 11:11, Emery Davis wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 10:44:41 +0100, Broadback wrote:

Me, I do not trust them, they are, to my mind, very intrusive.

That's true, and part of the reason I resisted for a long time. The main
reason is it's a tremendous time sink.

However, it is a good way to keep up with family and old friends, and
some of the gardening stuff is pretty good. If you subscribe to a lot of
different groups though you're quickly inundated and really can't get
through all of it!

My daughter finally twisted my arm, and I confess it is a fun way to keep
up with what the kids are doing (that they want to acknowledge publicly!)
and share our/their photos with friends etc.

What's more some of the photos from groups like Rare Plants or Hardy
Tropicals are spectacular.

Don't know which Rare Plants you are referring to, but Hardy Tropicals
continues to be available to all at
http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/. As you say, some excellent
photos there.

--

Jeff
Old 09-10-2015, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 9 Oct 2015 11:08:04 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

I've joined two or three gardening groups on Facebook. There are many
and all cater to particular interests or general gardening interest.

I got a Facebook account principally to set up a special group for WW1
commemorations on behalf of my parish. I have gradually added other
stuff of more personal interest, so looked for groups relating to
gardening. The list was so large, I didn't know where to start and did
not have time to track down one or two which would suit me.

Do you have any recommendations for a 'starter' general UK gardening
FB group?

----

Gardening on Wilts/Somerset border
on slightly alkaline clay underlying soil worked for many decades.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 9 Oct 2015 10:44:41 +0100, Broadback
wrote:

On 09/10/2015 10:30, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
On Fri, 9 Oct 2015 10:04:19 +0100, Sacha

On 2015-10-09 07:13:31 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Emery Davis" wrote
stuart noble wrote:

I've been wondering the same thing. Sacha?

FB.

and Twitter.

Yes, I'm on both and have a personal page and a page for the Nursery.
There are many gardening groups on Fb, covering a wide range of
different types of gardening. I resisted Facebok and Twitter for a long
time but have learned rapidly that they are what you make of them and
that it's very easy to avoid those you don't wish to encounter. Groups
on Facebook can be closed, private groups or open to all.

I used Facebook for a few weeks and set up some groups but it never
really suited my needs so I gave it up. I much prefer Usenet because
it's all in one place as I am. Just on click and all my newsgroups and
emails are brought up to date. I suppose if I was mobile with portable
gadgets my preferences would be different.

Steve

Me, I do not trust them, they are, to my mind, very intrusive.

Intrusive, time wasting and anti social. All the modern "social media"
devices discourage people communicating. Facebook and Twitter are the
worse offenders.

Today my carer got some messages while she was cooking lunch. After
lunch she sat with me responding to the messages. It took her about 15
minutes during which she wouldn't speak to me!

Another one of my carers has to communicate with her two sons using
Facebook because they won't answer the phone when she rings.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software for Windows http://www.npsnn.com

Old 09-10-2015, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 11:48:19 +0100, Jeff Layman wrote:

Don't know which Rare Plants you are referring to, but Hardy Tropicals
continues to be available to all at
http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/. As you say, some excellent
photos there.

Sorry I meant the Rare Plants FB group.

There is a maples group on FB also, I find it supplements but doesn't
replace at all the UBC maples forum.

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 09-10-2015, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 8 Oct 2015 13:13:28 +0100,
Broadback wrote:
On 08/10/2015 12:45, Pam Moore wrote:
Where has everybody gone?
Have you all migrated to a new Newsgroup?
Miss you!

I suspect, like me, they are all out enjoying the fine spell of
weather. :-)

WARNING. ;-)

If you all leave the newsgroup, the Krauts will take over. You haven't
read the German gardening-newsgroup, you do not know what I am talking
about ...

.... and you should rather avoid getting a glimpse of it.

Michael.
--
Location: Lower Normandy (Orne), France
New Key as of autumn 2015:

Old 09-10-2015, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"stuart noble" wrote

Broadback wrote:
Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
Sacha wrote:

Bob Hobden said:

"Emery Davis" wrote
stuart noble wrote:

[...]

As Sacha says, they are what you allow them to be. Getting to that point is
a learning curve, and not always very intuitive, but I think it's worth
it...on balance....probably...

I joined Fb some years ago and hated it, could not see the purpose and ,as
you say, got inundated with "friend" requests from some strange people I did
not know (and, I suspect, have no wish to) Eventually, concerned about
security, I closed it down.

About a year ago my wife asked me to set her up on Fb as she wished to talk
with old friends and relatives, Fb seemed much better than I remember and as
she is strict with who she "friends" it's good so far. There are two or
three that just " share" stuff she considers rubbish, ( Share if you have a
daughter/son/cat/dog/wife /husband you love !!!?) goodness knows why, but
you have to live with that or un-friend them ( which you can do easily and
they are not notified either). Through her FB page we have made a
reconnection with an old friend we lost touch with some years ago which is
wonderful.

I myself then opened a Twitter account and, again, was strict with who I
followed restricting it to nurseries etc, and organisations I'm interested
in like RBG Kew and the Natural History Museum and very few people, Prof
Brian Cox being but one (no friends or relatives at all). In essence it's
like my own little Newsgroup although the restriction to 140 characters does
cause problems some times.

As Sacha says, you can post photos on both Fb and Twitter and we do.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2015-10-09 10:11:42 +0000, Emery Davis said:

On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 10:44:41 +0100, Broadback wrote:

Me, I do not trust them, they are, to my mind, very intrusive.

That's true, and part of the reason I resisted for a long time. The main
reason is it's a tremendous time sink.

However, it is a good way to keep up with family and old friends, and
some of the gardening stuff is pretty good. If you subscribe to a lot of
different groups though you're quickly inundated and really can't get
through all of it!

My daughter finally twisted my arm, and I confess it is a fun way to keep
up with what the kids are doing (that they want to acknowledge publicly!)
and share our/their photos with friends etc.

What's more some of the photos from groups like Rare Plants or Hardy
Tropicals are spectacular.

There are a lot of folks from urg, past or present, on FB.

-E

Exactly what I've found and the daughter thing is familiar, too. ;-)
I have no problem with it whatsoever and never have had. It's much
easier to delete or block people or posts you don't want to see that it
is no newsgroups, in fact. What you do or don't see is entirely your
choice. People have to ask to befriend you, they can't just barge onto
your page as happens in newsgroups. I've re-connected with a few
people I haven't seen or heard from for years and of course, the big
bonus is the wide ranging choice of gardening groups and the photos.
I'm sorry but I said it some time ago and I'll say it again, newsgroup
days are numbered simply because of the ease and flexibility of
Facebook.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-10-2015, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2015-10-09 15:45:05 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"stuart noble" wrote

Broadback wrote:
Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
Sacha wrote:

Bob Hobden said:

"Emery Davis" wrote
stuart noble wrote:

[...]

Bob, you can also state on Fb that you don't "want to see any more
posts like this", so if you're bored with the 'cute' stuff (I know
*precisely* what you mean by that) you can click on that. I haven't
investigated whether or not that cuts off peoples' posts you do want to
see but will do so. Otoh, I simply click past them, just as I would on
here if someone I don't want to read every time is posting things I'm
not interested in.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-10-2015, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2015-10-09 07:13:31 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Emery Davis" wrote
stuart noble wrote:

[...]

That's two people using it badly, just as we have experience here of
people using ngs badly. It's only as intrusive or time-wasintg or
anti-social as any newsgroup, IF it's allowed to be. We've seen people
here who post only to cause mischief, changing names and being pathetic
nuisances. The entire internet is liable to that sort of behaviour.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-10-2015, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I've joined two or three gardening groups on Facebook. There are many
and all cater to particular interests or general gardening interest.

I got a Facebook account principally to set up a special group for WW1
commemorations on behalf of my parish. I have gradually added other
stuff of more personal interest, so looked for groups relating to
gardening. The list was so large, I didn't know where to start and did
not have time to track down one or two which would suit me.

Do you have any recommendations for a 'starter' general UK gardening
FB group?

----

Gardening on Wilts/Somerset border
on slightly alkaline clay underlying soil worked for many decades.

One of the groups I belong to is UK and Friends Gardening. It's
moderated in that 'nasties' won't be permitted but there is no heavy
handed "you can't talk about cacti in here" stuff going on!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 10-10-2015, 05:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

sacha wrote:

One of the groups I belong to is UK and Friends Gardening. It's
moderated in that 'nasties' won't be permitted but there is no heavy
handed "you can't talk about cacti in here" stuff going on!

Ha! Found you. Many thanks.

Bob Harvey

Old 10-10-2015, 08:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"sacha" wrote

Bob, you can also state on Fb that you don't "want to see any more posts
like this", so if you're bored with the 'cute' stuff (I know *precisely*
what you mean by that) you can click on that. I haven't investigated
whether or not that cuts off peoples' posts you do want to see but will do
so. Otoh, I simply click past them, just as I would on here if someone I
don't want to read every time is posting things I'm not interested in.

Yes that little downward pointing arrow at the top right of every post is
useful.

Sue has done that for one relative's constant reposts about stuff that we
have no interest in, or even object to, and it does work, hiding the reposts
from that site alone, but unfortunately he has the knack of finding even
more stuff to repost. I suppose we will eventually have everyone he follows
hidden. :-)

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 9 Oct 2015 18:08:25 +0100, sacha wrote:

I'm sorry but I said it some time ago and I'll say it again, newsgroup
days are numbered simply because of the ease and flexibility of
Facebook.

There are a lot of people find Usenet is easier to use than Facebook.
It depends on the newsreader.

AAMOI stats say Usenet traffic is rising. Probably due to binary and
picture attachments.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software for Windows http://www.npsnn.com

Old 10-10-2015, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9/10/2015 10:58 PM, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
On Fri, 9 Oct 2015 10:44:41 +0100, Broadback

Me, I do not trust them, they are, to my mind, very intrusive.

Intrusive, time wasting and anti social.

What worries me about the intrusiveness is how it is that the press can
get pictures from FB of people who have died. I've also heard that it's
not possible to really close down an FB account either and that one's
info is not actually one's own once posted on FB.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 20:27:16 +1100, Fran Farmer
wrote:

On 9/10/2015 10:58 PM, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
On Fri, 9 Oct 2015 10:44:41 +0100, Broadback

Me, I do not trust them, they are, to my mind, very intrusive.

Intrusive, time wasting and anti social.

What worries me about the intrusiveness is how it is that the press can
get pictures from FB of people who have died.

It's the new afterlife!

If FB have pictures they can give/sell them to anyone who asks. FB
have an old picture of me. I looked dead already so I changed to a
more recent picture. Facebook send me an email about once a week with
a list of "people you may know". One of the people FB thinks I know
has been dead for years but she looks quite healthy on FB.

I've also heard that it's
not possible to really close down an FB account either and that one's
info is not actually one's own once posted on FB.

I tried once. I even got to talk to a support person on phone once.
She said my details could be changed but not removed. The 'X' buttons
do not make permanent changes.

I put up with FB noise.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software for Windows http://www.npsnn.com

OT Where has time gone Mike United Kingdom 7 22-04-2003 01:08 PM
has the rec.ponds FAQ gone AWOL? Snooze Ponds 2 30-01-2003 12:44 PM
has the FAQ gone AWOL? Snooze Ponds 1 30-01-2003 12:41 PM
has the rec.ponds FAQ gone AWOL? Snooze Ponds 0 30-01-2003 06:26 AM
has the rec.ponds FAQ gone AWOL? Snooze Ponds 0 30-01-2003 05:56 AM