Old 08-10-2015, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default where has everybody gone?

Where has everybody gone?
Have you all migrated to a new Newsgroup?
Miss you!
Old 08-10-2015, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/10/2015 12:45, Pam Moore wrote:
Where has everybody gone?
Have you all migrated to a new Newsgroup?
Miss you!

I suspect, like me, they are all out enjoying the fine spell of weather. :-)
Old 08-10-2015, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote

Where has everybody gone?
Have you all migrated to a new Newsgroup?
Miss you!

Still here.
Orchids are coming into their flowering season now so always an interesting
time indoors whilst things are slowing down outside. That said our Hedychium
greenii is in flower in the garden, tempting the frost.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/10/2015 12:45, Pam Moore wrote:
Where has everybody gone?
Have you all migrated to a new Newsgroup?
Miss you!

I've been wondering the same thing. Sacha?

---

Old 09-10-2015, 01:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 08 Oct 2015 17:10:46 +0100, stuart noble wrote:

I've been wondering the same thing. Sacha?

FB.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy

Old 09-10-2015, 09:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Emery Davis wrote:
On Thu, 08 Oct 2015 17:10:46 +0100, stuart noble wrote:

I've been wondering the same thing. Sacha?

FB.

Ooh, is there a urg refugee group on FB?

Old 09-10-2015, 09:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emery Davis" wrote
stuart noble wrote:

I've been wondering the same thing. Sacha?

FB.

and Twitter.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2015-10-09 07:13:31 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Emery Davis" wrote
stuart noble wrote:

I've been wondering the same thing. Sacha?

FB.

and Twitter.

Yes, I'm on both and have a personal page and a page for the Nursery.
There are many gardening groups on Fb, covering a wide range of
different types of gardening. I resisted Facebok and Twitter for a long
time but have learned rapidly that they are what you make of them and
that it's very easy to avoid those you don't wish to encounter. Groups
on Facebook can be closed, private groups or open to all.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-10-2015, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2015-10-09 07:13:31 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Emery Davis" wrote
stuart noble wrote:

I've been wondering the same thing. Sacha?

FB.

and Twitter.

PS Should have said, also, that one of the advantages of Facebook and
Twitter is that you can post photos.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-10-2015, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 9 Oct 2015 10:04:19 +0100, Sacha

On 2015-10-09 07:13:31 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Emery Davis" wrote
stuart noble wrote:

I've been wondering the same thing. Sacha?

FB.

and Twitter.

Yes, I'm on both and have a personal page and a page for the Nursery.
There are many gardening groups on Fb, covering a wide range of
different types of gardening. I resisted Facebok and Twitter for a long
time but have learned rapidly that they are what you make of them and
that it's very easy to avoid those you don't wish to encounter. Groups
on Facebook can be closed, private groups or open to all.

I used Facebook for a few weeks and set up some groups but it never
really suited my needs so I gave it up. I much prefer Usenet because
it's all in one place as I am. Just on click and all my newsgroups and
emails are brought up to date. I suppose if I was mobile with portable
gadgets my preferences would be different.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software for Windows http://www.npsnn.com

Old 09-10-2015, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2015-10-09 07:13:31 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Emery Davis" wrote
stuart noble wrote:

[...]

Me, I do not trust them, they are, to my mind, very intrusive.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2015-10-09 07:13:31 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Emery Davis" wrote
stuart noble wrote:

I've been wondering the same thing. Sacha?

FB.

and Twitter.

I've joined two or three gardening groups on Facebook. There are many
and all cater to particular interests or general gardening interest.
Some have professionals as members and most have enthusiastic and very
knowledgeable gardeners, including some who open their gardens for the
NGS. I've also got a Facebook page for the Nursery and a Twitter
account for the same reason. I learned rapidly that Fb is what you
choose to make of it. You can have a closed group which only members
can read and groups which are moderated or groups which are open to the
whole world. Same goes for your own page. You can easily block people
you don't wish to associate with and delete posts you feel to be
inappropriate for whatever reason.

I was extremely wary to start with but frankly, you are as much master
of your own fate there as you are on any newsgroup.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-10-2015, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 10:44:41 +0100, Broadback wrote:

Me, I do not trust them, they are, to my mind, very intrusive.

That's true, and part of the reason I resisted for a long time. The main
reason is it's a tremendous time sink.

However, it is a good way to keep up with family and old friends, and
some of the gardening stuff is pretty good. If you subscribe to a lot of
different groups though you're quickly inundated and really can't get
through all of it!

My daughter finally twisted my arm, and I confess it is a fun way to keep
up with what the kids are doing (that they want to acknowledge publicly!)
and share our/their photos with friends etc.

What's more some of the photos from groups like Rare Plants or Hardy
Tropicals are spectacular.

There are a lot of folks from urg, past or present, on FB.

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 09-10-2015, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2015-10-09 07:13:31 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Emery Davis" wrote
stuart noble wrote:

[...]

I hate f*c*book (you can choose the letters yourself!). I even miss out
on many photos of the grandchildren because I refuse to use it. It just
reminds me of an infectious disease.

It all started when I got an email from Facebook a couple of years ago
welcoming me to it. I couldn't understand why I'd got the email, as I
had no interest in it. AFAIR It seems an old friend had joined Facebook
and one of the email addresses he'd given them as a friend was mine. So
an account had been set up under my name. Several links were given in
the email, one apparently to delete the account. But I couldn't; I could
inactivate it (I think), but the only person who could delete it was my
friend (maybe by removing me as a "friend"?). I didn't bother trying
anything more. I just blocked anything from Facebook with my Win7
firewall and the modem/router firewall, so I have no idea if they ever
tried to get me to join up again.

And if you think they are safe and secure, try the following Google
searches:
1. "hack" and "facebook"
2. "hack" and "twitter"

and compare the number of results with "hack" and "usenet".

--

Jeff
Old 09-10-2015, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2015-10-09 07:13:31 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Emery Davis" wrote
stuart noble wrote:

[...]

As Sacha says, they are what you allow them to be. Getting to that point
is a learning curve, and not always very intuitive, but I think it's
worth it...on balance....probably...

---

OT Where has time gone Mike United Kingdom 7 22-04-2003 02:08 PM
has the rec.ponds FAQ gone AWOL? Snooze Ponds 2 30-01-2003 01:44 PM
has the FAQ gone AWOL? Snooze Ponds 1 30-01-2003 01:41 PM
has the rec.ponds FAQ gone AWOL? Snooze Ponds 0 30-01-2003 07:26 AM
has the rec.ponds FAQ gone AWOL? Snooze Ponds 0 30-01-2003 06:56 AM