GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Help pleas with penstemon cuttings (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/212143-help-pleas-penstemon-cuttings.html)

Broadback[_3_] 11-10-2015 01:37 PM

Help pleas with penstemon cuttings

Being a fan of penstemon I took a number of cuttings earlier in the
year. They took and seemed be healthy. However when I transferred them
from a gravel based medium to peat a lot (not all but about half) did
not survive. I was pleased with the original take but not with the
potting on. Any suggestions please as to where I went wrong?

Paul Luton[_2_] 15-10-2015 02:22 PM

On 10/11/2015 1:37 PM, Broadback wrote:
Being a fan of penstemon I took a number of cuttings earlier in the
year. They took and seemed be healthy. However when I transferred them
from a gravel based medium to peat a lot (not all but about half) did
not survive. I was pleased with the original take but not with the
potting on. Any suggestions please as to where I went wrong?

I took a lot last year in B&Q Peat Free Verve compost with just added
vermiculite for rooting. I think I waited for potting on in the spring
into the same compost without vermiculite. That seemed to work well.
Perhaps too great a change in media ?