Old 18-10-2015, 04:44 PM
Registered User

Default Climber ID please

Hi all,

Please can somebody tell me what this climber is. Bought a house and discovered this growing up to fantastic heights in trees and bushes. Looks like some sort of clematis judging by the leaf. As it is October, looks like it's the seed heads which are in the photos. Didn't know clematis would grow this way.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Climber ID please-dscf1175.jpg   Climber ID please-dscf1176.jpg   Climber ID please-dscf1178.jpg
Old 18-10-2015, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Lintama" wrote in message

Hi all,

Please can somebody tell me what this climber is. Bought a house and
discovered this growing up to fantastic heights in trees and bushes.
Looks like some sort of clematis judging by the leaf. As it is October,
looks like it's the seed heads which are in the photos. Didn't know
clematis would grow this way.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

|Filename: DSCF1175.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16361|
|Filename: DSCF1176.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16362|
|Filename: DSCF1178.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16363|

Lintama

Well its definitely a Clematis! probably Clematis vitalba, a UK native
sometimes called "Old Mans Beard" can be invasive, but can be hacked back
each year to keep it under control if you happen to like it.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 19-10-2015, 02:28 PM
Registered User

Thank you for the replies and no I don't remember seeing it when in flower but the photos you supplied are exactly like it. Looks as if I will have a very busy time getting rid of it. Not the prettiest clematis I must ad but not as if it's like the bind weed I will have to sort out and that is a hell of a task. It's everywhere also.

Many thanks again for solving the mystery.

|Filename: DSCF1175.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16361|
|Filename: DSCF1176.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16362|
|Filename: DSCF1178.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16363|
+-------------------------------------------------------------------+[/i][/color]

As Charlie says, a clematis, probably Clematis vitalba (aka Old man's
beard, or Travellers' joy. Can't think why it got the second name!).
The fluffy things are seed heads. Did you see it when it was in
flower, and if so, what were the flowers like, colour, size, that sort
of thing. Images of Clematis vitalba flowers here
http://tinyurl.com/owjeuf3 seed heads here http://tinyurl.com/qx47n49
and what happens when it gets out of hand, here
http://tinyurl.com/pw42h4l

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales[/quote]
Old 20-10-2015, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 17:44:52 +0200, Lintama
wrote:

Hi all,

Please can somebody tell me what this climber is. Bought a house and
discovered this growing up to fantastic heights in trees and bushes.
Looks like some sort of clematis judging by the leaf. As it is October,
looks like it's the seed heads which are in the photos. Didn't know
clematis would grow this way.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

|Filename: DSCF1175.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16361|
|Filename: DSCF1176.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16362|
|Filename: DSCF1178.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16363|

As Charlie says, a clematis, probably Clematis vitalba (aka Old man's
beard, or Travellers' joy. Can't think why it got the second name!).
--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales

I think people used to smoke it, I cant imagine it does you a lot of good
but may be it gives you a buzz hence the name?

Old 20-10-2015, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/10/2015 08:11, Chris Hogg wrote:
As Charlie says, a clematis, probably Clematis vitalba (aka Old man's
beard, or Travellers' joy. Can't think why it got the second name!).

I was told Traveller's Joy for the nice flowers in spring, and Old Man's
Beard for the seeds.

This was from my Grandmother, born before WW1 in Sussex.

Andy