GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Omething is eating my pansy flowers (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/212198-omething-eating-my-pansy-flowers.html)

Malcolm Race[_2_] 26-10-2015 09:10 AM

Omething is eating my pansy flowers

Title says it all. I have 3 half baskets containing pansies and the
petals are being eaten. In previous years I have used violas and
noticed a little damage but this year about 10% of the flowers are
affected. The baskets are mountedon brick walls and are in full sun for
the morning (east facing). I am in Fareham on the south coast
TIA

Malcolm

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 26-10-2015 12:11 PM

"Malcolm Race" wrote in message
Title says it all. I have 3 half baskets containing pansies and the
petals are being eaten. In previous years I have used violas and noticed
a little damage but this year about 10% of the flowers are affected. The
baskets are mountedon brick walls and are in full sun for the morning
(east facing). I am in Fareham on the south coast
TIA

Malcolm

Possible birds? especially sparrows.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Yellow[_3_] 26-10-2015 08:22 PM

Omething is eating my pansy flowers

In article ,
says...

"Malcolm Race" wrote in message
Title says it all. I have 3 half baskets containing pansies and the
petals are being eaten. In previous years I have used violas and noticed
a little damage but this year about 10% of the flowers are affected. The
baskets are mountedon brick walls and are in full sun for the morning
(east facing). I am in Fareham on the south coast
TIA

Malcolm

Possible birds? especially sparrows.

I get this problem and in my case it is definitely not birds as they are
nibbled. I am convinced we are in insect territory. Or maybe ants.

Malcolm Race[_2_] 27-10-2015 10:28 PM

On 26/10/2015 09:10, Malcolm Race wrote:
Title says it all. I have 3 half baskets containing pansies and the
petals are being eaten. In previous years I have used violas and
noticed a little damage but this year about 10% of the flowers are
affected. The baskets are mountedon brick walls and are in full sun for
the morning (east facing). I am in Fareham on the south coast
TIA

Malcolm

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try to find some chicken wire to try
to keep the birds off.

Malcolm

[email protected] 28-10-2015 08:45 AM

On Monday, October 26, 2015 at 9:10:21 AM UTC, Malcolm Race wrote:
Title says it all. I have 3 half baskets containing pansies and the
petals are being eaten. In previous years I have used violas and
noticed a little damage but this year about 10% of the flowers are
affected. The baskets are mountedon brick walls and are in full sun for
the morning (east facing). I am in Fareham on the south coast
TIA

Malcolm

Slugs/snails?

Jonathan

Malcolm Race[_2_] 28-10-2015 10:23 PM

On 28/10/2015 08:45, wrote:
On Monday, October 26, 2015 at 9:10:21 AM UTC, Malcolm Race wrote:
Title says it all. I have 3 half baskets containing pansies and the
petals are being eaten. In previous years I have used violas and
noticed a little damage but this year about 10% of the flowers are
affected. The baskets are mountedon brick walls and are in full sun for
the morning (east facing). I am in Fareham on the south coast
TIA

Malcolm

Slugs/snails?

Jonathan

Thanks for the suggestion but I think it is unlikely. The baskets are
about 4ft above the ground with no slime trails and it is only the
petals which are eaten, it seems starting from the outside

Malcolm

[email protected] 31-10-2015 08:40 PM

On Wednesday, October 28, 2015 at 10:23:51 PM UTC, Malcolm Race wrote:
On 28/10/2015 08:45, wrote:
On Monday, October 26, 2015 at 9:10:21 AM UTC, Malcolm Race wrote:
Title says it all. I have 3 half baskets containing pansies and the
petals are being eaten. In previous years I have used violas and
noticed a little damage but this year about 10% of the flowers are
affected. The baskets are mountedon brick walls and are in full sun for
the morning (east facing). I am in Fareham on the south coast
TIA

Malcolm

Slugs/snails?

Jonathan

Thanks for the suggestion but I think it is unlikely. The baskets are
about 4ft above the ground with no slime trails and it is only the
petals which are eaten, it seems starting from the outside

Malcolm

FWIW, I often remove snails from the chains of my hanging baskets! Don't assume that because something is hanging on high it is immune!