Old 28-10-2015, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT Facebook

Well I gave it a go, but it is so invasive. I am constantly getting
emails telling me that I have more friends than I realise, I have never
heard of them, they are not friends, they are contacts of contacts of
contacts ad nauseum. So into touch it gets kicked.
Old 28-10-2015, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/28/2015 11:43 AM, Broadback wrote:
Well I gave it a go, but it is so invasive. I am constantly getting
emails telling me that I have more friends than I realise, I have never
heard of them, they are not friends, they are contacts of contacts of
contacts ad nauseum. So into touch it gets kicked.

I turned off email notifications.
Old 28-10-2015, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 28 Oct 2015 15:43:57 +0000, Broadback
wrote:

Well I gave it a go, but it is so invasive. I am constantly getting
emails telling me that I have more friends than I realise, I have never
heard of them, they are not friends, they are contacts of contacts of
contacts ad nauseum. So into touch it gets kicked.

That was and still my experience with Facebook. They won't let me go
so I assume other people are getting messages about me being their
friend.

Everyone I ask about their use of Facebook says the same thing about
it trying to make people into friends but they all continue to use it!

Steve

--
Neural Network Software for Windows http://www.npsnn.com

Old 28-10-2015, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 28 Oct 2015 11:51:08 -0400, S Viemeister
wrote:

On 10/28/2015 11:43 AM, Broadback wrote:
Well I gave it a go, but it is so invasive. I am constantly getting
emails telling me that I have more friends than I realise, I have never
heard of them, they are not friends, they are contacts of contacts of
contacts ad nauseum. So into touch it gets kicked.

I turned off email notifications.

So did I but I still get them.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software for Windows http://www.npsnn.com

Old 28-10-2015, 08:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Well I gave it a go, but it is so invasive. I am constantly getting
emails telling me that I have more friends than I realise, I have never
heard of them, they are not friends, they are contacts of contacts of
contacts ad nauseum. So into touch it gets kicked.

That was and still my experience with Facebook. They won't let me go
so I assume other people are getting messages about me being their
friend.

Everyone I ask about their use of Facebook says the same thing about
it trying to make people into friends but they all continue to use it!

Steve

One thing that really gets me is the number of firms with things like
"Like us on Facebook to get our latest special offers"
"Like us on Facepook to win...."
Then they say 83,000 people like us on Facebook

Old 29-10-2015, 08:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote:

Well I gave it a go, but it is so invasive. I am constantly getting
emails telling me that I have more friends than I realise, I have never
heard of them, they are not friends, they are contacts of contacts of
contacts ad nauseum. So into touch it gets kicked.

Facebook is a pain in the proverbial. I kicked mine into touch two
years ago, and I'm still getting rubbish mail from them.

I've got my Mail Filters set up to put into junk mail anything with
Facebook on it.

Peter

--
It is necessary for the good man to do nothing for evil to triumph.

Attributed to Edmund Burke 1729 - 1797
Old 29-10-2015, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CT CT is offline

Broadback wrote:

Well I gave it a go, but it is so invasive. I am constantly getting
emails telling me that I have more friends than I realise, I have
never heard of them, they are not friends, they are contacts of
contacts of contacts ad nauseum. So into touch it gets kicked.

Facebook is what you want it to be. Eventually.

I like it, but then I stopped all emails & notifications straight away,
locked down my privacy settings, and over time have blocked the things
I don't want to see.

Of course, all this takes a little time to get into place and I can see
that "out of the box" it can appear very intrusive but IMO the pros
outweight the cons (which for me, now, are few & far between).

--
Chris
Old 29-10-2015, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote:

Well I gave it a go, but it is so invasive. I am constantly getting
emails telling me that I have more friends than I realise, I have
never heard of them, they are not friends, they are contacts of
contacts of contacts ad nauseum. So into touch it gets kicked.

Facebook is what you want it to be. Eventually.

I like it, but then I stopped all emails & notifications straight away,
locked down my privacy settings, and over time have blocked the things
I don't want to see.

Of course, all this takes a little time to get into place and I can see
that "out of the box" it can appear very intrusive but IMO the pros
outweight the cons (which for me, now, are few & far between).

I agree, I like Facebook but it needs managing. I have renewed contact with
many past friends and associates through it but never accept anyone I don't
already know or ask anyone to become a "Facebook friend"

Mike

Old 29-10-2015, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Of course, all this takes a little time to get into place and I can see
that "out of the box" it can appear very intrusive but IMO the pros
outweight the cons (which for me, now, are few & far between).

Horses for Course's

I have used BBoards, newsgroups and Forums, but is was nessary in 2011
to join FaceBook, because that is what most use, and is the main
choice of first time users.
I wanted to contact potential London Olympic Gamesmakers, and the only
way was to use Face book, our site grew to include a Forum and a
static site, but without the power of FaceBook we would never had got
over two thousand active members.

If you need to get your message out, use every tool in the book!
www.lincolnfuchsiasociety.info

Old 29-10-2015, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 28 Oct 2015 17:28:27 +0100, Martin wrote:

I turned off email notifications.

So did I but I still get them.

I don't.

Nor I.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 30-10-2015, 12:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Stephen
Wolstenholme writes
wrote:

Well I gave it a go, but it is so invasive. I am constantly getting
emails telling me that I have more friends than I realise, I have never
heard of them, they are not friends, they are contacts of contacts of
contacts ad nauseum. So into touch it gets kicked.

That was and still my experience with Facebook. They won't let me go
so I assume other people are getting messages about me being their
friend.

I don't think I've ever had emails telling me about potential friends.
In fact I don't really get any emails from Facebook at all.

Everyone I ask about their use of Facebook says the same thing about
it trying to make people into friends but they all continue to use it!

I'm no great fan of Facebook, but a few pictures on the website saying
you may know these people isn't exactly trying to make people into
friends though is it. It's easily ignored
--
Chris French

Old 30-10-2015, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Stephen
Wolstenholme writes
wrote:

[...]

Those fascinate me. Several are people I have known but it baffles me how
Face Book made the connection. Often with no friends in common.

Mike

Old 31-10-2015, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Muddymike wrote:
In message , Stephen
Wolstenholme writes
wrote:

[...]

Just add it to the many other things that you do not know.

Old 01-11-2015, 03:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Well I gave it a go, but it is so invasive. I am constantly getting
emails telling me that I have more friends than I realise, I have never
heard of them, they are not friends, they are contacts of contacts of
contacts ad nauseum. So into touch it gets kicked.

That was and still my experience with Facebook. They won't let me go
so I assume other people are getting messages about me being their
friend.

Everyone I ask about their use of Facebook says the same thing about
it trying to make people into friends but they all continue to use it!

From observation, I've come to the conclusion that the biggest users
and defenders of Facebook seem to be the ones who have a need for having
lots of friends and constant contact. I much prefer newsgroups.