GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   cymbidium division (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/212205-cymbidium-division.html)

Pam Moore[_3_] 29-10-2015 11:22 AM

cymbidium division

I've discovered that my cymbidium has split its plastic pot.
Is now a good time to divide and repot?
If not, when?
Or just put it in a bigger pot?
It's in my living room. No greenhouse, no other place for it in
winter.
Having had 2 flower stems this year after 15 years waiting I don't
want to stop it doing the same next year.

Bob Hobden 29-10-2015 01:03 PM

cymbidium division

"Pam Moore" wrote

I've discovered that my cymbidium has split its plastic pot.
Is now a good time to divide and repot?
If not, when?
Or just put it in a bigger pot?
It's in my living room. No greenhouse, no other place for it in
winter.
Having had 2 flower stems this year after 15 years waiting I don't
want to stop it doing the same next year.

Personally I'd use a bigger pot if you have room, they always look better
and seem to grow/flower better the bigger they are.
I haven't taken mine in yet, they are still out in the garden as the more
cool nights they get without frost the better. Noticed that at least one of
the standard cymbids has flower spikes growing already.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Pam Moore[_3_] 04-11-2015 12:01 PM

cymbidium division

On Thu, 29 Oct 2015 11:22:37 +0000, Pam Moore
wrote:

I've discovered that my cymbidium has split its plastic pot.
Is now a good time to divide and repot?
If not, when?
Or just put it in a bigger pot?
It's in my living room. No greenhouse, no other place for it in
winter.
Having had 2 flower stems this year after 15 years waiting I don't
want to stop it doing the same next year.

The rootball was so big, having split the plastic pot, that a bigger
pot would not fit into the ceramic outer pot.
So I cut a few pseudobulbs off one side and repotted it and the
smaller bit separately. Time will tell now!
Thanks for advice.

Bob Hobden 04-11-2015 04:22 PM

cymbidium division

"Pam Moore" wrote ...

Pam Moore wrote:

I've discovered that my cymbidium has split its plastic pot.
Is now a good time to divide and repot?
If not, when?
Or just put it in a bigger pot?
It's in my living room. No greenhouse, no other place for it in
winter.
Having had 2 flower stems this year after 15 years waiting I don't
want to stop it doing the same next year.

The rootball was so big, having split the plastic pot, that a bigger
pot would not fit into the ceramic outer pot.
So I cut a few pseudobulbs off one side and repotted it and the
smaller bit separately. Time will tell now!
Thanks for advice.

If repotting what is normally done is that you take out the old pseudobulbs
and throw them away (or pot up to make new plants). You then repot the
younger bulbs.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Pam Moore[_3_] 04-11-2015 04:42 PM

cymbidium division

e On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 16:22:20 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote ...

Pam Moore wrote:

I've discovered that my cymbidium has split its plastic pot.
Is now a good time to divide and repot?
If not, when?
Or just put it in a bigger pot?
It's in my living room. No greenhouse, no other place for it in
winter.
Having had 2 flower stems this year after 15 years waiting I don't
want to stop it doing the same next year.

The rootball was so big, having split the plastic pot, that a bigger
pot would not fit into the ceramic outer pot.
So I cut a few pseudobulbs off one side and repotted it and the
smaller bit separately. Time will tell now!
Thanks for advice.

If repotting what is normally done is that you take out the old pseudobulbs
and throw them away (or pot up to make new plants). You then repot the
younger bulbs.

There was one dead pseudobulb which I got rid of. Might that be the
one which flowered! Don't know which were old or new. I didn't want to
cut it up too much, just give it more space. It's done now!
Time will tell!
Thanks.