GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Watering Can (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/212209-watering-can.html)

Chris J Dixon 30-10-2015 09:07 AM

Watering Can

Over the years I have had various watering cans, from a couple of
Haws 7 litre plastic (both eventually cracked) to something very
much cheaper which lasted about as long, but has just reached the
end of the road.

I'm not a heavy user, as it is easier to get the hose out for a
serious bit of watering. I reckon that it is sunlight rather than
abuse that sees them off.

Should I go for a metal can this time, or is rust just as likely
to cause its demise?

OTOH perhaps I should just be content that if I can still lift it
by the time it expires, I'm the winner?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Janet 30-10-2015 07:00 PM

Watering Can

In article ,
says...

Over the years I have had various watering cans, from a couple of
Haws 7 litre plastic (both eventually cracked) to something very
much cheaper which lasted about as long, but has just reached the
end of the road.

I'm not a heavy user, as it is easier to get the hose out for a
serious bit of watering. I reckon that it is sunlight rather than
abuse that sees them off.

Should I go for a metal can this time, or is rust just as likely
to cause its demise?

OTOH perhaps I should just be content that if I can still lift it
by the time it expires, I'm the winner?

Chris

I agree about sunlight seeing off plastic ones; they never last more
than a few years.

I inherited a galvanised watering can which I've had for 30 + years and
is probably older than me; it's left outside all year round and hasn't
rusted yet, though its original rose is long gone. I've never got round
to finding a proper replacement. I usually end up holding on a plastic
rose with one hand :-)

Janet.

David Hill 30-10-2015 07:51 PM

Watering Can

On 30/10/2015 19:00, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

I've had a plastic Haws can for over 40 years now and still going strong.
I don't leave it out in the sun, always store it under the bench.

Christina Websell 30-10-2015 08:17 PM

Watering Can

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
Over the years I have had various watering cans, from a couple of
Haws 7 litre plastic (both eventually cracked) to something very
much cheaper which lasted about as long, but has just reached the
end of the road.

I'm not a heavy user, as it is easier to get the hose out for a
serious bit of watering. I reckon that it is sunlight rather than
abuse that sees them off.

Should I go for a metal can this time, or is rust just as likely
to cause its demise?

OTOH perhaps I should just be content that if I can still lift it
by the time it expires, I'm the winner?

Chris

Treat yourself to a galvinised one

Fran Farmer 31-10-2015 05:27 AM

Watering Can

On 30/10/2015 8:07 PM, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Over the years I have had various watering cans, from a couple of
Haws 7 litre plastic (both eventually cracked) to something very
much cheaper which lasted about as long, but has just reached the
end of the road.

I'm not a heavy user, as it is easier to get the hose out for a
serious bit of watering. I reckon that it is sunlight rather than
abuse that sees them off.

Should I go for a metal can this time, or is rust just as likely
to cause its demise?

OTOH perhaps I should just be content that if I can still lift it
by the time it expires, I'm the winner?

I always have at least a couple of plastic waterign cans that live
outside but they never last mre than a few years. Inside Hanging up on
hooks in my sun room, I have at least 8 ancient galvanised watering can
of varying sizes. Some still have their roses but most of them don't I
have the habit of buying the old galvanised ones when I see them at a
reasonable price in olde wares shops. I seem to have passed on my
liking as I and now get requests from the offspring for X or Y size or
shape of old gal cans.

Love the gal far more than the placcie.