GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Lily stem curiosity (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/212219-lily-stem-curiosity.html)

Martin Brown 02-11-2015 11:15 AM

Lily stem curiosity

Most of my lilies have died back now for the winter but one stem in a
very sheltered spot near the house has stayed alive and is now forming
new plant like buds at various leaf joints up the stem.

I have seen this behaviour in sedums before but never on lilies.

I guess the sharp frosts followed by mild weather is responsible but has
anyone else seen this?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Martin Brown 02-11-2015 12:01 PM

Lily stem curiosity

On 02/11/2015 11:33, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 2 Nov 2015 11:15:17 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

Most of my lilies have died back now for the winter but one stem in a
very sheltered spot near the house has stayed alive and is now forming
new plant like buds at various leaf joints up the stem.

I have seen this behaviour in sedums before but never on lilies.

I guess the sharp frosts followed by mild weather is responsible but has
anyone else seen this?

Do you mean bulbils? http://tinyurl.com/nhgbd2n

Yes, but I have never seen anything like these for size before.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Bob Hobden 02-11-2015 03:57 PM

Lily stem curiosity

"Martin Brown" wrote

Chris Hogg wrote:
Martin Brown

Most of my lilies have died back now for the winter but one stem in a
very sheltered spot near the house has stayed alive and is now forming
new plant like buds at various leaf joints up the stem.

I have seen this behaviour in sedums before but never on lilies.

I guess the sharp frosts followed by mild weather is responsible but has
anyone else seen this?

Do you mean bulbils? http://tinyurl.com/nhgbd2n

Yes, but I have never seen anything like these for size before.

I have had bulbils grow so large they were perfect miniatures of a lilly
bulb scales and all.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Martin Brown 02-11-2015 05:42 PM

Lily stem curiosity

On 02/11/2015 15:57, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Martin Brown" wrote

Chris Hogg wrote:
Martin Brown

Most of my lilies have died back now for the winter but one stem in a
very sheltered spot near the house has stayed alive and is now forming
new plant like buds at various leaf joints up the stem.

I have seen this behaviour in sedums before but never on lilies.

I guess the sharp frosts followed by mild weather is responsible but
has
anyone else seen this?

Do you mean bulbils? http://tinyurl.com/nhgbd2n

Yes, but I have never seen anything like these for size before.

I have had bulbils grow so large they were perfect miniatures of a lilly
bulb scales and all.

That is exactly what I am seeing but only on one single stem out of
about twenty. The rest all died off normally.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown