Old 11-11-2015, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Blaby tomato

On 11/11/15 10:24, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 10 Nov 2015 23:36:44 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 9 Nov 2015 23:39:36 +0000, Malcolm Race wrote:

See Hugh Feranley-Whittingstall program on Food Waste - it should now be
on i-Player

No thanks.

We aren't allowed to access iPlayer.

Yes, I know he is irritating, but it's worth watching. Try it and see what
you think.

I read the comments in The Guardian about the factual errors in the programme.

The Grauniad complaining about someone else's "factual errors". Talk
about the pot calling the kettle black!!!

--

Jeff
Old 12-11-2015, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/11/15 08:36, Martin wrote:

wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 9 Nov 2015 23:39:36 +0000, Malcolm Race wrote:

See Hugh Feranley-Whittingstall program on Food Waste - it should now be
on i-Player

No thanks.

We aren't allowed to access iPlayer.

Yes, I know he is irritating, but it's worth watching. Try it and see what
you think.

I read the comments in The Guardian about the factual errors in the programme.

The Grauniad complaining about someone else's "factual errors". Talk
about the pot calling the kettle black!!!

The Guardian doesn't write the comments the readers do.

It is responsible for anything that appears in it. It can choose which
comments appear and those which don't.

Many years ago a company I worked for was involved in something
controversial. Most newspapers took a neutral line, pointing out the
pros and cons, But The Grauniad chose to come down strongly against
what the company was doing. Fine - that's its prerogative. But it
"quoted" independent published work which proved what the company was
doing was wrong. But the quotes were completely inaccurate, so the
company wrote a letter to the editor pointing out the errors, and asking
for a correction to be published. Not only was the company letter not
published, the Grauniad's editor said that there was "no space available
to print a correction".

Nothing changes...

--

Jeff
Old 14-11-2015, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 10 Nov 2015 23:36:44 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 9 Nov 2015 23:39:36 +0000, Malcolm Race wrote:

See Hugh Feranley-Whittingstall program on Food Waste - it should now be
on i-Player

No thanks.

We aren't allowed to access iPlayer.

Yes, I know he is irritating, but it's worth watching. Try it and see
what
you think.

I read the comments in The Guardian about the factual errors in the
programme.
--

And he was in a supermarket taking some of the vegetables out of the
shopper's trolleys and throwing them away. When challenged, he said

He took some stuff away from an elderly woman and I'm not up for that (and
neither was she, by the look in her eyes). Had the cameras not been there,
and she wasn't polite, I think she would have swiped him round the head.
I hope he reimbursed her. IME elderly people don't waste much food and are
very good at using the last bit of everything because pensions don't go far
plus they know how to cook.
I'm not quite elderly yet, but almost nothing foodwise is wasted here. I'm
glad Hugh didn't try it with me.
Whilst it's a good idea to alert us to food waste, which is rife in the
people-who-earn-a-lot, taking veggies from a pensioner is beyond the pale.

Tina

Old 15-11-2015, 12:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 14 Nov 2015 18:40:34 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 10 Nov 2015 23:36:44 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

m...
wrote:

[...]

There have been articles in the press and programmes on TV about wasted
food for
years.

We are both retired. We don't waste food. The generation that does
probably
doesn't watch programmes like this.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Nothing is wasted here but it's good idea for some folks to be reminded.
My black bin (non recycables)_ would take a year or more to fill up.
When they come to empty it every two weeks they say it's not worth tipping
it into the lorry because there nothing in it.

Old 15-11-2015, 12:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
On Wed, 11 Nov 2015 09:32:18 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

Christina Websell wrote:

I don't believe, at all, there there is any need for a supermarket to
insist
on a certain length or size of vegetable. I am sure that "wonky"
vegetables
would be quite acceptable to most people once they know how badly the
supermarket policy of perfect is affecting the farmers.

Not to side with the supermarkets, but they must have based that on what
was left on the shelves? Same happens for anything where you let the
customer self-select, e.g. look at all the banana-wood piled up in Wickes.

Soup makers should not be too worried about wonky vegetables so I
would have thought that could be an outlet for products who aren't
the plant equivalent of a supermodel. Judging by the demand for food
banks we'll soon have a need for as many soup kitchens as we can get.

ain't that just the truth. we have a trolley in the local supermarket for a
food bank and it's usually full. we are all only a few pay cheques away
from needing it. I put something in there every time I go there.
Because maybe what if it was me that needed it?

Old 16-11-2015, 03:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
says...

Martin wrote:

There have been articles in the press and programmes on TV about wasted
food for
years.

I agree, and I suspect the numbers on waste have been jiggered to include
the entire distribution chain. Fresh veggies have a lot of loss and
waste
just in the trimming. Years ago, I volunteered at a food co-op. We
charged double the wholesale price for produce, and that was just about
break-even.
Of course, we "mature" frugal types make soup/stock/compost with the
trimmings, so it isn't _really_ wasted!

I don't know anyone in the UK baby-boom generation who does throw
stuff away; we were brought up with food rationing, "make do and mend"
and "passing it on" etc and those habits were ingrained in us. We're the
Squirrel Generation of savers, recyclers, menders, skipdivers,ironers of
wrapping paper, knotters of used string, etc.

Janet.

Ain't that just the truth. I only get a black bin (non-recyclables) empty
every two weeks, and the dustbinmen now look inside it to see if it's worth
the trouble of picking it up. It never is.
Although I say it myself, I rarely waste anything. I'm very good with food.
Bought a poisson on it's sell by date for £1., roasted it for a nice meal,
then used the rest of it to make soup with carrots and onions & herbs which
did lunch for for two days, plus the skin and stuff that was wasn't eatable
when I was picking the bones made a meal for my cat. I did however put the
bones in the bin.
Any veg trimmings go to my hens who turn them into eggs. I can't remember
the last time I wasted any food.

Old 16-11-2015, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Christina Websell wrote:

Ain't that just the truth. I only get a black bin (non-recyclables) empty
every two weeks, and the dustbinmen now look inside it to see if it's worth
the trouble of picking it up. It never is.

We don't put it out more than every couple of months and, even then,
it is rarely more than 1/3 full. Except today, but I have been going
a post-retirement clear-up.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-11-2015, 12:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Christina Websell wrote:

Ain't that just the truth. I only get a black bin (non-recyclables) empty
every two weeks, and the dustbinmen now look inside it to see if it's
worth
the trouble of picking it up. It never is.

We don't put it out more than every couple of months and, even then,
it is rarely more than 1/3 full. Except today, but I have been going
a post-retirement clear-up.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I think you can be excused for that. Some time ago, a neighbour whose bin
was full before the 2 weeks were up asked me if she could use my bin. I
asked her what she wanted to put in there, given that she had a large bin
herself, she said "disposable nappies"
I said no and she got a lecture about disposable nappies.

I expect she ran up and down the street when the bins were out, stuffing the
nappies in every bin that had some room in.
Not in mine though. They take 200 years to degrade.

Tina

Old 21-11-2015, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/11/2015 21:17, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sat, 21 Nov 2015 20:17:37 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Janet" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
says...

Some time ago, a neighbour whose bin
was full before the 2 weeks were up asked me if she could use my bin. I
asked her what she wanted to put in there, given that she had a large bin
herself, she said "disposable nappies"
I said no and she got a lecture about disposable nappies.

I expect she ran up and down the street when the bins were out, stuffing
the
nappies in every bin that had some room in.
Not in mine though. They take 200 years to degrade.

Can you explain how you know how long they take to degrade, given
that scientists will have to wait another 150 years before they can
study any 200 yr old disposable nappies?

Janet.

I saw it on the telly.. but you have to agree that it's not a good idea,
filling the landfill with disposable nappies, surely?
Do you think it's a good idea then?

To paraphrase Churchill, sending disposable nappies to landfill is the
worst method of disposal, except for all the other methods.

Given that used disposable nappies exist, and will continue to exist
in large quantities because of their convenience in today's disposable
society, and bearing in mind that municipal incinerators are few and
far between (only 36 in the UK), what would you do with them?

Bearing in mind that disposable nappies contain a water retaining
polymer then Having large quantities of them in landfill might go some
way to reducing the risk of flooding by storing some of the flood water.
Old 22-11-2015, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

"Janet" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
says...

Some time ago, a neighbour whose bin
was full before the 2 weeks were up asked me if she could use my bin. I
asked her what she wanted to put in there, given that she had a large bin
herself, she said "disposable nappies"
I said no and she got a lecture about disposable nappies.

I expect she ran up and down the street when the bins were out, stuffing
the
nappies in every bin that had some room in.
Not in mine though. They take 200 years to degrade.

Can you explain how you know how long they take to degrade, given
that scientists will have to wait another 150 years before they can
study any 200 yr old disposable nappies?

Janet.

I saw it on the telly.. but you have to agree that it's not a good idea,
filling the landfill with disposable nappies, surely?

What if the landfill produces enough recovered methane to heat 36,000
homes, like this

http://www.sita.co.uk/news-and-views.../sita-uk2019s-
lancashire-landfill-gas-producing

Do you think it's a good idea then?

Surely, that would depend entirely on how biodegradable modern
disposables really are, surely? and a comparison with the amount of
energy and chemicals used laundering cloth nappies.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...59652615001535

What about the countless adult men and women who use disposable
sanitary products? Are those a bad idea?

My grandmother's generation washed out and re-used their menstrual
cloths, poor things. I used disposable sanitary products.

Having cared for doubly incontinent adults (in old age, or terminal
illness), should that ever happen to me I fully intend to use disposable
incontinence products, the adult version of disposable nappies.

YMMV

Janet

Old 06-12-2015, 12:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

of disposal, except for all the other methods.

Given that used disposable nappies exist, and will continue to exist
in large quantities because of their convenience in today's disposable
society, and bearing in mind that municipal incinerators are few and
far between (only 36 in the UK), what would you do with them?

--

Chris

I have a woodburner so if i used disposable nappies (which I wouldn't) I
guess I would burn them but ask me about what to do about disposable nappies
and I really don't know the answer.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Christina Websell wrote:

I am sure that "wonky" vegetables would be quite acceptable to most
people once they know how badly the supermarket policy of perfect is
affecting the farmers.

Get yourself down to ASDA then ...

http://your.asda.com/news-and-blogs/wonky-fruit-veg-boxes