Old 17-11-2015, 11:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Storm Barney

Feeling the full force of it where I live in the East Mids as we speak.
Wheelie bins are out for tomorrows collection and are blowing all over, one
has already hit my car :-(
I went out and jammed it under my wood trailer to try and stop it but can
hear lots of stuff banging still about so not sure if that will work.
The wind is probably 60 mph and gusting, the rain is beating on the
windows..
I'm more worried about my trees, tbh. I have quite a lot of elderly fruit
trees that were planted when my house was built 60 years ago, so I'm
dreading seeing the damage in the morning. I have one damson tree that was
toppled by high winds a couple of years ago, but I propped it up and it's
still going along and fruiting, but I suspect that one might not make it
this time.
Got the tail end of "Storm Abigail" last week, which was more "up north" and
the weather here was awful but Storm Barney is doing its worst here atm.

Btw, who had the idea of naming them? Somehow it makes them seem worse.

Tina

Old 18-11-2015, 10:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 17 Nov 2015 23:24:53 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

Feeling the full force of it where I live in the East Mids as we speak.

Would agree its a tad brezzy here in Lincolnshire

Btw, who had the idea of naming them? Somehow it makes them seem worse.

They were named after a public comp. We get a male and then a female
name alternatively. It was said on radio 4 this week that the female
ones have proved worse (that is the ones named in USA which has been
naming theirs for years) but that comment did come from a man!
Old 18-11-2015, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/11/2015 10:49, Chris Hogg wrote:

wrote:

Feeling the full force of it where I live in the East Mids as we speak.

Would agree its a tad brezzy here in Lincolnshire

Btw, who had the idea of naming them? Somehow it makes them seem worse.

They were named after a public comp. We get a male and then a female
name alternatively. It was said on radio 4 this week that the female
ones have proved worse (that is the ones named in USA which has been
naming theirs for years) but that comment did come from a man!

Abigail (a big gale) was particularly appropriate, but the rest aren't
with the possible exception of Wendy (~windy?), if we ever get that
far down the list.
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/in-...ame-our-storms

Just wait till we get hit by storm Christina.
Old 19-11-2015, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Feeling the full force of it where I live in the East Mids as we speak.

Would agree its a tad brezzy here in Lincolnshire

Btw, who had the idea of naming them? Somehow it makes them seem
worse.

They were named after a public comp. We get a male and then a female
name alternatively. It was said on radio 4 this week that the female
ones have proved worse (that is the ones named in USA which has been
naming theirs for years) but that comment did come from a man!

Abigail (a big gale) was particularly appropriate, but the rest aren't
with the possible exception of Wendy (~windy?), if we ever get that
far down the list.
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/in-...ame-our-storms

Just wait till we get hit by storm Christina.

LOL! If it's going to be alphabetical, that one could be next ;-)

Old 19-11-2015, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 18:38:58 +0000, David Hill

wrote:

Feeling the full force of it where I live in the East Mids as we
speak.

Would agree its a tad brezzy here in Lincolnshire

Btw, who had the idea of naming them? Somehow it makes them seem
worse.

They were named after a public comp. We get a male and then a female
name alternatively. It was said on radio 4 this week that the female
ones have proved worse (that is the ones named in USA which has been
naming theirs for years) but that comment did come from a man!

Abigail (a big gale) was particularly appropriate, but the rest aren't
with the possible exception of Wendy (~windy?), if we ever get that
far down the list.
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/in-...ame-our-storms

Just wait till we get hit by storm Christina.

Watch out for lows flying moles.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Actually, my mole seems to be gone (shush in case it returns)
Maybe my cat caught it, I told him to. Wishful thinking as the likelihood of
a mole popping up to the surface when my cat is walking past is minimal,
but it's not impossible. He once left me a bat on the doormat (yes, I
know..I'm sorry) but he came on his own as a thin lost boy, no-one claimed
him despite local radio appeals, so I kept him. He used to be out on rat
patrol every night, but now he's getting elderly he prefers to be on his
duvet. He can still kill a small rat but tbh nowadays it would have to
fall into his mouth. Too much trouble otherwise..
Tina

Old 19-11-2015, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Feeling the full force of it where I live in the East Mids as we speak.

Would agree its a tad brezzy here in Lincolnshire

Btw, who had the idea of naming them? Somehow it makes them seem worse.

They were named after a public comp. We get a male and then a female
name alternatively. It was said on radio 4 this week that the female
ones have proved worse (that is the ones named in USA which has been
naming theirs for years) but that comment did come from a man!

It's a coincidence..

Only one tree suffered, a lilac now leaning at 30 degrees over the path.
All fruit trees are Ok but let's just say I have enough kindling to last me
over the winter.

Old 20-11-2015, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Feeling the full force of it where I live in the East Mids as we
speak.

Would agree its a tad brezzy here in Lincolnshire

Btw, who had the idea of naming them? Somehow it makes them seem
worse.

They were named after a public comp. We get a male and then a female
name alternatively. It was said on radio 4 this week that the female
ones have proved worse (that is the ones named in USA which has been
naming theirs for years) but that comment did come from a man!

Abigail (a big gale) was particularly appropriate, but the rest aren't
with the possible exception of Wendy (~windy?), if we ever get that
far down the list.
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/in-...ame-our-storms

Just wait till we get hit by storm Christina.

LOL! If it's going to be alphabetical, that one could be next ;-)

It will be Clodagh then Desmond, Eva, Frank, Gertrude Henry, Imogen, Jake.

Mike

Old 20-11-2015, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/11/2015 10:39, divingbrit wrote:
It was said on radio 4 this week that the female
ones have proved worse (that is the ones named in USA which has been
naming theirs for years)

You mean like Hurricane Andrew?

"Hurricane Andrew was, at the time of its occurrence in August 1992, the
most destructive hurricane in United States history."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Andrew

Andy
Old 21-11-2015, 06:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 20 Nov 2015 12:24:03 -0000, Muddymike
wrote:
It will be Clodagh then Desmond, Eva, Frank, Gertrude Henry, Imogen,
Jake.

Yes, give them family-names, too, that opens new possibilities ... ;-)

Mike

--
Location: Lower Normandy (Orne), France
New Key as of autumn 2015:
Old 21-11-2015, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Damn, I kind of wanted a Christina one.

Tina

It says on the met office web site linked to above, that "To ensure we
are in line with the US National Hurricane Centre naming convention,
we are not going to include names which begin with the letters Q, U,
X, Y and Z." Why ever not!? OK, so they want to maintain consistency
with official storm naming for the North Atlantic, but where did that
exclusion come from in the first place. What's wrong with names like
Quentin, Ulrich, Xavier, Yvonne and Zacharias, anyway? (Note, by
omitting Q, U, X, Y and Z, they've mucked up the M-F-M-F etc order,
but I'm sure suitable M-F names are available, as appropriate).

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales

Old 21-11-2015, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Vir Campestris" wrote in message
On 18/11/2015 10:39, divingbrit wrote:
It was said on radio 4 this week that the female
ones have proved worse (that is the ones named in USA which has been
naming theirs for years)

You mean like Hurricane Andrew?

"Hurricane Andrew was, at the time of its occurrence in August 1992, the
most destructive hurricane in United States history."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Andrew

Andy

Was it worse than Katrina?

Old 25-11-2015, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Christina Websell wrote:
[...]
Btw, who had the idea of naming them [i.e. storms]?

Are you asking why are they named at all, or are you asking why do they
have the names they have? I think the former. The Met Office and its
Irish counterpart are trialling the use of names this Autumn and Winter
because they think it will raise awareness of potentially damaging wind
storms.

I do apologise for using the word "trialling".

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/rel...ame-our-storms

Old 30-11-2015, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Justin Thyme" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
[...]
Btw, who had the idea of naming them [i.e. storms]?

Are you asking why are they named at all, or are you asking why do they
have the names they have? I think the former. The Met Office and its
Irish counterpart are trialling the use of names this Autumn and Winter
because they think it will raise awareness of potentially damaging wind
storms.

I do apologise for using the word "trialling".

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/rel...ame-our-storms

got storm Clodagh yesterday. Lashing rain but winds not quite as high as
Barney. Still around 50-55, and lifted some sheet steel roofing off my wood
heap.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Nov 2015 19:38:49 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Justin Thyme" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
[...]
Btw, who had the idea of naming them [i.e. storms]?

Are you asking why are they named at all, or are you asking why do they
have the names they have? I think the former. The Met Office and its
Irish counterpart are trialling the use of names this Autumn and Winter
because they think it will raise awareness of potentially damaging wind
storms.

I do apologise for using the word "trialling".

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/rel...ame-our-storms

got storm Clodagh yesterday. Lashing rain but winds not quite as high as
Barney. Still around 50-55, and lifted some sheet steel roofing off my
wood
heap.

It was enough to break the moorings of the DFDS ferry when it was moored
in
Newcastle.

Locally storms resulted in a WWII V1 fuel or compression tank being washed
up on
the beach on Saturday, followed by 235kg of packets of cocaine yesterday.
There
was probably more than 235kg. The police were searching local beaches
aided by a
helicopter.
--

Well, that's a sort of benefit!

Here in the Midlands, I only got the high winds from Desmond, nothing like
the 14 inches of rain and floods that Cumbria got. I count myself lucky.
I did have a tree down but hey, that's nothing in comparison.

Queer Barney Frank {or is it Barney Fife?} Wants to legalizeonline gambling and marijuana Kate_G Gardening 54 14-05-2009 12:17 AM
Tropical Storm Allison was good to Houston... J Kolenovsky Texas 5 15-03-2003 09:08 PM
Tropical Storm Allison was good for Houston... J Kolenovsky Gardening 0 28-02-2003 05:51 AM
ICE STORM!!!! Crow T Robot Texas 7 28-02-2003 03:33 AM
2 days left to arrange pickup of ice storm debris Griffin North Carolina 0 26-02-2003 08:24 PM