GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Malus Profusion not fruiting (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/212298-re-malus-profusion-not-fruiting.html)

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 02-12-2015 11:19 PM

Malus Profusion not fruiting

On 01/12/2015 17:47, Chris Hogg wrote:
My late mother's garden has a Malus Profusion. Been there for decades.
Flowers well. Never fruits. It's supposed to be self-fertile. Two
years ago I planted a different Malus a few yards away (don't remember
the name, off hand). It fruits well. But still nothing on the
Profusion. Why not?

Second question. The Profusion is getting rather leggy where it is.
Can I hard-prune it and expect it to re-grow satisfactorily?

I have never seen fruit on M. Profusion, I assumed it didnt, there is
one at the bottom of the garden, its across the road in a neighbours
patch, a few years back she had it savagely cut back by chain saw and
its recovered to flower well again

--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk