GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Can't identify conifer (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/212388-cant-identify-conifer.html)

[email protected] 11-01-2016 02:42 PM

Can't identify conifer

Hi all
This conifer in my garden is 5m high and will have to go.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-y...2806A%2529.JPG
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Z...2807A%2529.JPG
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-z...2808A%2529.JPG
Colour is dark green with a distinctly silvery look. It has never produced any flowers or cones to my knowledge.
I would quite like to propagate it before it gets chopped down but I have not been able to identify it. Any ideas?

TIA and Happy New Year
Ragnar Hairybreeks

Bob Hobden 11-01-2016 05:18 PM

Can't identify conifer

wrote in message

Hi all
This conifer in my garden is 5m high and will have to go.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-y...2806A%2529.JPG
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Z...2807A%2529.JPG
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-z...2808A%2529.JPG
Colour is dark green with a distinctly silvery look. It has never produced
any flowers or cones to my knowledge.
I would quite like to propagate it before it gets chopped down but I have
not been able to identify it. Any ideas?

As Chris has said it's difficult to make an ID from those tiny pics, however
take a look at Juniper chinensis (lots of varieties)
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Phil L 11-01-2016 05:25 PM

Can't identify conifer

wrote:
Hi all
This conifer in my garden is 5m high and will have to go.

Pictures are the size of a postage stamp, upload one or two to tinypic and
post the links here

[email protected] 11-01-2016 06:31 PM

Can't identify conifer

Sorry about the tiny images folks - they look OK on my computer.
Try these instead
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-9...06A%252529.JPG
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-1...07A%252529.JPG
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-C...08A%252529.JPG

RH

Jeff Layman[_2_] 11-01-2016 06:49 PM

Can't identify conifer

On 11/01/16 18:31, wrote:
Sorry about the tiny images folks - they look OK on my computer.
Try these instead
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-9...06A%252529.JPG
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-1...07A%252529.JPG
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-C...08A%252529.JPG

RH

Looks like a form of Chamaecyparis pisifera to me. Could be "Boulevard".
although that is silvery blue-green in colour.

--

Jeff

Mohli 25-01-2016 09:19 AM

It's looks very similar to CRYPTOMERIA japonica

I have CRYPTOMERIA japonica 'Sekkan Sugi' which has very pale green,cream new growth

Mo