Old 13-01-2016, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mineraly enriched soil?

In Tesco yesterday I noticed that their premium parsnips claimed to be
grown in Mineraly enriched soil.
Any ideas whay this could be other than soil with fretilizer in it?
David @ a very soggy side of Swansea Bay
Old 13-01-2016, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/01/2016 12:39, David Hill wrote:
In Tesco yesterday I noticed that their premium parsnips claimed to be
grown in Mineraly enriched soil.
Any ideas whay this could be other than soil with fretilizer in it?
David @ a very soggy side of Swansea Bay

In this case I'm guessing that it's referring to trace elements rather
than the usual NPK(+Ca+S). It could be referring to soil in which a
mineral supplement (e.g. rock dust) has been added, or it could be
referring to a soil which naturally has higher levels of minerals.

One does hear about pastures being dressed with various elements to
address trace element deficiencies in cattle and sheeped.

--
SRH
Old 13-01-2016, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David Hill wrote:
In Tesco yesterday I noticed that their premium parsnips claimed to be
grown in Mineraly enriched soil.
Any ideas whay this could be other than soil with fretilizer in it?

Soil contaminated by heavy metals?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-01-2016, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:

But I suspect in reality your mineraly enriched soil is just marketing
bullshit, designed to impress the ignorant.

Unfortunately, short of domestic violence, I can't stop my wife
shopping at Tescos. I have seen several such bullshitting claims,
but I now forget the details of the others. The most common
'mineral' added to soil is lime, of course.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-01-2016, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin wrote:

But I suspect in reality your mineraly enriched soil is just marketing
bullshit, designed to impress the ignorant.

Unfortunately, short of domestic violence, I can't stop my wife
shopping at Tescos. I have seen several such bullshitting claims,
but I now forget the details of the others.

Healthy high sugar content food?

Oh, no! That's almost justifiable. The claims were far more purely
marketing spiel.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 13-01-2016, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

But I suspect in reality your mineraly enriched soil is just marketing
bullshit, designed to impress the ignorant.

Unfortunately, short of domestic violence, I can't stop my wife
shopping at Tescos. I have seen several such bullshitting claims,
but I now forget the details of the others. The most common
'mineral' added to soil is lime, of course.

It could be worse. She could shop at Morrisons or Waitrose.

My objections to Tescos are ethical.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-01-2016, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote

In article ,
David Hill wrote:
In Tesco yesterday I noticed that their premium parsnips claimed to be
grown in Mineraly enriched soil.
Any ideas whay this could be other than soil with fretilizer in it?

Soil contaminated by heavy metals?

You cynic! :-)

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 13-01-2016, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/01/2016 13:02, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
David Hill wrote:

In Tesco yesterday I noticed that their premium parsnips claimed to be
grown in Mineraly enriched soil.
Any ideas whay this could be other than soil with fretilizer in it?

Soil contaminated by heavy metals?

I suspect it may mean grown in China where they have a habit of using
cheap Rare Earth minerals as fertiliser with allegedly good results.
Been going on for a couple of decades now (eg):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12008295

I'd be wary of the thorium content of such minerals YMMV.

I can't find anything much that isn't behind a paywall but if you have
academic access then a search on REE fertiliser China ought to get it.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 13-01-2016, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

In Tesco yesterday I noticed that their premium parsnips claimed to be
grown in Mineraly enriched soil.
Any ideas whay this could be other than soil with fretilizer in it?

Soil contaminated by heavy metals?

I suspect it may mean grown in China where they have a habit of using
cheap Rare Earth minerals as fertiliser with allegedly good results.
Been going on for a couple of decades now (eg):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12008295

I'd be wary of the thorium content of such minerals YMMV.

I can't find anything much that isn't behind a paywall but if you have
academic access then a search on REE fertiliser China ought to get it.

Then try 'rare earth toxic'. We do so need to get rid of the EU
nanny state and back to the glorious days of yore, when merchants
were allowed to sell freely without having to obey ridiculous
restrictions. What's wrong with sugar of lead in wine, or copper
in pickles? And why should manufacturerss have to forced to disclose
their secrets, like the ingredients?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-01-2016, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote:
In Tesco yesterday I noticed that their premium parsnips claimed to be
grown in Mineraly enriched soil.
Any ideas whay this could be other than soil with fretilizer in it?

Soil contaminated by heavy metals?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

That was my thought! we are not supposed to eat any root veg from our
garden due to heavy metal and arsenic in the sub soil so not perhaps the
best way to advertise veg!!

--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 14-01-2016, 10:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:

In Tesco yesterday I noticed that their premium parsnips claimed to be
grown in Mineraly enriched soil.
Any ideas whay this could be other than soil with fretilizer in it?

Soil contaminated by heavy metals?

That was my thought! we are not supposed to eat any root veg from our
garden due to heavy metal and arsenic in the sub soil so not perhaps the
best way to advertise veg!!

Interesting. You are lucky that you are in the wet West, then,
because breathing soil dust can't be good, either. Incidentally,
I did a recent look to see if anyone had found out how arsenic
is essential to animal metabolism and it seems to be still a
mystery; it is also quite possible that arsenic deficiency may be
an undiagnosed problem in some cases.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-01-2016, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote:
In Tesco yesterday I noticed that their premium parsnips claimed to be
grown in Mineraly enriched soil.
Any ideas whay this could be other than soil with fretilizer in it?

Soil contaminated by heavy metals?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

That was my thought! we are not supposed to eat any root veg from our garden due
to heavy metal and arsenic in the sub soil so not perhaps the best way to
advertise veg!!

I was surprised to find:
The legacy of mining also remains in the form of heavy metal
contamination of the soil. Shipham has the highest levels of
cadmium in the soil anywhere in the UK. Cadmium is a toxic
metal associated with old zinc mine workings. However, a
study found that the cadmium in the soil is tightly bound
up in minerals, and is not readily available for uptake by
plants. It therefore does not enter the food chain and has
no measurable effect on health.
https://www.bgs.ac.uk/mendips/localities/shipham.html

Also
http://randd.defra.gov.uk/Document.a...xF-Cadmium.pdf
Old 14-01-2016, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote:
In Tesco yesterday I noticed that their premium parsnips claimed to be
grown in Mineraly enriched soil.
Any ideas whay this could be other than soil with fretilizer in it?

Soil contaminated by heavy metals?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

That was my thought! we are not supposed to eat any root veg from our
garden due to heavy metal and arsenic in the sub soil so not perhaps the
best way to advertise veg!!

I wonder if there is any evidence that all the Cornish wildlife eating
wild fruit, leaves, stems, etc is being poisoned, and is suffering as a
result.

--

Jeff