Old 15-01-2016, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Replacing a tree

Hi. I have a very old willow next to a well that 3 professionals recommend to be removed.

I would like to put some other tree there, but I have some requisites:
.. Provide good shade in summer
.. Roots no invasive, particularly with the well there
.. Relative fast growing or easy to buy in bigger sizes
.. If possible nice leaves, flowers or fruits.

Any suggestions?
Old 16-01-2016, 12:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/01/2016 9:18 AM, P. Alves wrote:
Hi. I have a very old willow next to a well that 3 professionals recommend to be removed.

I would like to put some other tree there, but I have some requisites:
. Provide good shade in summer
. Roots no invasive, particularly with the well there
. Relative fast growing or easy to buy in bigger sizes
. If possible nice leaves, flowers or fruits.

Any suggestions?

How much space do you have? I plant oaks when I want a quick non native
plant but then I have lots of space for them.

Old 16-01-2016, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/01/16 22:18, P. Alves wrote:
Hi. I have a very old willow next to a well that 3 professionals recommend to be removed.

I would like to put some other tree there, but I have some requisites:
. Provide good shade in summer
. Roots no invasive, particularly with the well there
. Relative fast growing or easy to buy in bigger sizes
. If possible nice leaves, flowers or fruits.

Any suggestions?

Are you still referring to a tree for north Portugal?

--

Jeff
Old 16-01-2016, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Fran Farmer wrote:
On 16/01/2016 9:18 AM, P. Alves wrote:
Hi. I have a very old willow next to a well that 3 professionals

recommend to be removed.

I would like to put some other tree there, but I have some requisites:
. Provide good shade in summer
. Roots no invasive, particularly with the well there
. Relative fast growing or easy to buy in bigger sizes
. If possible nice leaves, flowers or fruits.

Any suggestions?

How much space do you have? I plant oaks when I want a quick non native
plant but then I have lots of space for them.

We have a walnut used for exactly that purpose. I removed its lower
branches as it grew, so it has a most un-walnut shape, but that
allows the grass to grow underneath and plenty of headroom. A pity
about the leaf litter. But no worthwhile tree will provide much
shade in under a decade outside the humid tropics - our walnut is
the best part of 35 years old now. And all tree roots are invasive,
to some extent, though willow and birch are particularly bad.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-01-2016, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi Jeff,

Yes to the north of Portugal.
temperatures vary from -3Cº during the night a couple of days a year and 30-35ºC in summer.

Thanks

Old 18-01-2016, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Walnut is an option. I am not going for oak as I already have a couple.

So far, the options a
- Orange/clementine tree
- Mango (will need protection for the first few years) Not a favourite as it is not native.
- Wallnut
- Almond (Although I think roots are quite bad for the well)
- Chestnut

I kind of like the idea of some sort of nut tree.

Thanks
Old 18-01-2016, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
P. Alves wrote:
Walnut is an option. I am not going for oak as I already have a couple.

So far, the options a
- Orange/clementine tree
- Mango (will need protection for the first few years) Not a favourite
as it is not native.
- Wallnut
- Almond (Although I think roots are quite bad for the well)
- Chestnut

I kind of like the idea of some sort of nut tree.

Remember that some of those get quite big, with a corresponding
root spread. But those conditions would enable you to grow most
boreal fruit or nut trees, and many others. I suggest thinking
of all of those and cross out ones that are too small, too large,
sucker too readily, or you simply don't want.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-01-2016, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/01/16 15:30, P. Alves wrote:
Hi Jeff,

Yes to the north of Portugal.
temperatures vary from -3Cº during the night a couple of days a year and 30-35ºC in summer.

Thanks

I was thinking of something more-or-less native - Cork oak (Quercus
suber) or Olive. I guess the latter does give you some sort of edible
crop, whereas the oak doesn't. But it is evergreen with attractive
leaves and bark.

I don't know if it would meet your needs, but Diospyros kaki (persimmon)
might be worth considering, although you would need a couple of plants
as it is dioecious.

--

Jeff
Old 18-01-2016, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi again,

I already have a persimmon (amazing fruit, love it!) and it gives more fruits than we can eat. My wife already forbid me to bring another "one of those dirty trees"!!

Olive tree is also in the list. Cork Oak does not do well in this part of the country.

Olive tree
Walnut
Orange (I would not mind a sanguinello, but cannot find them here)
Chestnut

Any idea on how bad the chestnut tree roots are?

Thanks a million to all for taking time to help!
PA
Old 18-01-2016, 11:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/01/16 20:31, P. Alves wrote:
Hi again,

I already have a persimmon (amazing fruit, love it!) and it gives
more fruits than we can eat. My wife already forbid me to bring
another "one of those dirty trees"!!

Olive tree is also in the list. Cork Oak does not do well in this
part of the country.

Olive tree Walnut Orange (I would not mind a sanguinello, but cannot
find them here) Chestnut

Any idea on how bad the chestnut tree roots are?

Thanks a million to all for taking time to help! PA

I don't think that Sweet Chestnut trees (Castanea sativa) are
particularly of concern. You may find the information here on many
species of interest:
http://www.leeds.gov.uk/docs/guideli...20version).pdf

Another suggestion - Cornus capitata

--

Jeff

Old 19-01-2016, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 22:24:55 +0000, Jeff Layman wrote:

Another suggestion - Cornus capitata

That's a nice tree, was recently told there are some hardy cultivars
around now that can be safely grown in the UK.

Bear in mind that walnuts take many years to fruit, I have one planted
in '93 (Franchette) that only has a few nuts, and another from 2002 that
has no sign of 'em.

How about a beautiful maple like Acer opalus? Will do well in the
climate and has lovely spring flowers (though not showy to some).
Alternatively a fast growing sub-tropical snakebark maple like A.
rubescens or A. morifolium would be fantastic.

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 19-01-2016, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"P. Alves" wrote...

Walnut is an option. I am not going for oak as I already have a couple.

So far, the options a
- Orange/clementine tree
- Mango (will need protection for the first few years) Not a favourite as
it is not native.
- Wallnut
- Almond (Although I think roots are quite bad for the well)
- Chestnut

I kind of like the idea of some sort of nut tree.

How about...
Mirabelle plum (very popular in France, stunning for cooking and jam)
Albizia julibrissin "Rosea' (One of my favourites which is why I have one
here from seed)
If you have oranges how about a Tahiti Lime.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 19-01-2016, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:

If you have oranges how about a Tahiti Lime.

Possibly a bit tender. Lemon, no problem.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-01-2016, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jan 2016 18:45:59 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

Albizia julibrissin "Rosea' (One of my favourites which is why I have one
here from seed)

I read that it won't tolerate frost. Where are you? Surely 'W of
London' gets frosts!

No, it can take quite hard ones - IF the summer before is long and
hot enough! It's one of the plants that is hardy in Arnold Arboretum
but not Kew. I had one, from seed, but it never thrived outside
and eventually died.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-01-2016, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/01/16 15:50, Emery Davis wrote:
On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 22:24:55 +0000, Jeff Layman wrote:

Another suggestion - Cornus capitata

That's a nice tree, was recently told there are some hardy cultivars
around now that can be safely grown in the UK.

It might be hardier than you think. The RHS gives it an H5 rating (hardy
in most places throughout the UK even in severe winters [-15 to -10]). I
got one earlier this year from an NGS garden in Chandlers Ford. The one
there was around 6 metres high and had been there quite a few years.
Mind you, there is also a 12m Embothrium there, so it must have good
microclimate! I've put my C. capitata near a SW-facing wall, and hope it
will be OK.

Bear in mind that walnuts take many years to fruit, I have one planted
in '93 (Franchette) that only has a few nuts, and another from 2002 that
has no sign of 'em.

How about a beautiful maple like Acer opalus? Will do well in the
climate and has lovely spring flowers (though not showy to some).
Alternatively a fast growing sub-tropical snakebark maple like A.
rubescens or A. morifolium would be fantastic.

Hadn't heard of those, but they seem pretty hardy. From internet photos
A. rubescens looks to me rather like A. davidii. The autumn colour of A.
morifolium looks great, but the bark doesn't look as good as davidii.

--

Jeff