GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   VAT on tea? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/212397-vat-tea.html)

David Hill 16-01-2016 11:50 PM

VAT on tea?

Yesterday at hospital I went to the café for a cup of tea.
I was given a cup of hot water and a tea bag, I had to provide the
labour to make said cup of tea.
Just wondering if I should have to pay VAT on it?
The cost of a cup of hot water and a tea bag was £1.70

Robert Harvey[_2_] 17-01-2016 03:45 AM

VAT on tea?

David Hill wrote:
Yesterday at hospital I went to the café for a cup of tea.
I was given a cup of hot water and a tea bag, I had to provide the
labour to make said cup of tea.
Just wondering if I should have to pay VAT on it?
The cost of a cup of hot water and a tea bag was £1.70

The cost of hot water, tea bag, 4 minutes of staff time, and groundrent to
the hospital was £1.70 , which also included some fraction of the cost of
cleaning in the evening.

Sea Drummer 17-01-2016 07:39 AM

VAT on tea?

On 17/01/2016 03:45, Robert Harvey wrote:
David Hill wrote:
Yesterday at hospital I went to the café for a cup of tea.
I was given a cup of hot water and a tea bag, I had to provide the
labour to make said cup of tea.
Just wondering if I should have to pay VAT on it?
The cost of a cup of hot water and a tea bag was £1.70

The cost of hot water, tea bag, 4 minutes of staff time, and groundrent to
the hospital was £1.70 , which also included some fraction of the cost of
cleaning in the evening.

where did you work out 4 minutes of staff time, and you did not even
answer the question just tied to defend the price with what look like
made up info. The answer can be found here

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/vfood.../vfood4220.htm

The water is a drink, and the tea just a flavor

---

David Hill 19-01-2016 06:34 PM

VAT on tea?

On 16/01/2016 23:50, David Hill wrote:
Yesterday at hospital I went to the café for a cup of tea.
I was given a cup of hot water and a tea bag, I had to provide the
labour to make said cup of tea.
Just wondering if I should have to pay VAT on it?
The cost of a cup of hot water and a tea bag was £1.70

Well that didn't work!
Fed up with paying as much for the half of lemonade as for the half of
Guinness in a Guinness shandy I thought I'd buy a half of Guinness and
half a pint of lemonade.
result ...
The lemonade came as a 14 oz glass and cost more than the half of Guinness.
Another rip-off.

Christina Websell 05-02-2016 11:53 PM

VAT on tea?

"David Hill" wrote in message
Yesterday at hospital I went to the café for a cup of tea.
I was given a cup of hot water and a tea bag, I had to provide the labour
to make said cup of tea.
Just wondering if I should have to pay VAT on it?
The cost of a cup of hot water and a tea bag was £1.70

That's quite a mark up. I can buy 100 Typhoo teabags (usual price 2.19)
from the local poundshop for yes, £1.
1p per cup.