Old 26-01-2016, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT - Still having computer problems

I recently managed to salvage my old computer onto a windows 7 machine,
all is working and good!

However the experience has left me nervous of having no back up machine
sitting switched off but ready to go with windows 7 on it, and I thought
it would be handy to test run my backups to make sure they worked.

I thought I would resurrect my old machine, started off renewing the
hard drive but that didnt clear the problem (it is not going through the
boot sequence tries to start windows but dumps you into the repair
screen and then retries and keeps going in cycles) so I assumed it must
be the motherboard or processor, so I have just fitted a new one of
those but it still has exactly the same problem.

I should say the Hard drive (s) I have tried all work fine and boot up
on other machines

Can a dodgy power supply cause these sort of problems? if not what is it
likely to be?

At this stage I realize it would have been easier (and quicker) to just
buy a second working machine but I was lured into this course of action
and am now being stubborn and dont want to be beaten!

My fixation in windows 7 is just because its the last version that my
Label station printer software works on and changing to the new software
would involve rewriting thousands of Labels
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 26-01-2016, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:
I thought I would resurrect my old machine, started off renewing the
hard drive but that didnt clear the problem (it is not going through the
boot sequence tries to start windows but dumps you into the repair
screen and then retries and keeps going in cycles) so I assumed it must
be the motherboard or processor, so I have just fitted a new one of
those but it still has exactly the same problem.

If you have replaced the hard drive, motherboard and processor,
then the power supply is by far the most likely scenario. The
trouble is that the symptoms can arise from almost anything,
including peripheral boards if you have them, because of the way
modern boot software is written.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 26-01-2016, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/01/16 20:23, Charlie Pridham wrote:
[...]

Charlie, I hesitate to mention Linux, but it is just possible that your
label program will run in Wine under Linux. It might be worth Googling
to see if anyone has tried it.

By the way, as far as I understand, you won't be able to buy a new
computer with Windows 7 on it after 31 October.

--

Jeff
Old 27-01-2016, 12:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/01/2016 20:44, Nick Maclaren wrote:

If you have replaced the hard drive, motherboard and processor,
then the power supply is by far the most likely scenario. The
trouble is that the symptoms can arise from almost anything,
including peripheral boards if you have them, because of the way
modern boot software is written.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I do have a graphics card, so If the power supply replacement doesn't
sort it I suspect I can run without it as the main board appears to have
a connection for the monitor cable.

Could something like a card reader connected to the USB on the board
also cause it (I have one but no longer need it so it could be removed)
Old 27-01-2016, 12:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/01/2016 22:34, Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

I am totally unfamiliar with Linux, not sure how Liz would take to
another change, she is still mourning the passing of Vista!

Its not really about how good some of this stuff is but how used to it
you get, even the worst software you know is better than the best you
don't :~)

I am hoping I can keep going with 7 until I no longer need the printer!!

Old 27-01-2016, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/01/2016 20:23, Charlie Pridham wrote:
I recently managed to salvage my old computer onto a windows 7 machine,
all is working and good!

However the experience has left me nervous of having no back up machine
sitting switched off but ready to go with windows 7 on it, and I thought
it would be handy to test run my backups to make sure they worked.

Your simplest option would be to buy a secondhand refurbished Win7 box
from the likes of Morgan and test it and install your software ready and
then keep it safe in a nice dry cupboard until needed. eg.

http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/c/6...ows-7-Systems/

I thought I would resurrect my old machine, started off renewing the
hard drive but that didnt clear the problem (it is not going through the
boot sequence tries to start windows but dumps you into the repair
screen and then retries and keeps going in cycles) so I assumed it must
be the motherboard or processor, so I have just fitted a new one of
those but it still has exactly the same problem.

The simplest test for whether it is bad memory (common and worth
reseating it as a precaution) is to run a Linux based memory tester like
Memtest86 and see if the PC can boot from a bootable CD and run for an
extended period. It will also catch board level PSU faults.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memtest86

If the PC still crashed horribly running a different OS from a CD/DVD
then you know it is a hardware fault. I am afraid Windows is
sufficiently inclined to self destruct that you often cannot infer
anything much from a Win7 boot failure beyond "something is wrong".

I should say the Hard drive (s) I have tried all work fine and boot up
on other machines

Transplanting hard drives randomly between machines isn't a good idea.
Even PCs that are nominally identical and from the same batch sometimes
have subtly different driver requirements.

Can a dodgy power supply cause these sort of problems? if not what is it
likely to be?

Dodgy capacitors in the memory can cause erratic problems. They tend to
go bad after 5-10 years. Again a memory stress test will find that.

At this stage I realize it would have been easier (and quicker) to just
buy a second working machine but I was lured into this course of action
and am now being stubborn and dont want to be beaten!

My fixation in windows 7 is just because its the last version that my
Label station printer software works on and changing to the new software
would involve rewriting thousands of Labels

Having a hot spare is wise if you depend on it for business.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 27-01-2016, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:

If you have replaced the hard drive, motherboard and processor,
then the power supply is by far the most likely scenario. The
trouble is that the symptoms can arise from almost anything,
including peripheral boards if you have them, because of the way
modern boot software is written.

I do have a graphics card, so If the power supply replacement doesn't
sort it I suspect I can run without it as the main board appears to have
a connection for the monitor cable.

Could something like a card reader connected to the USB on the board
also cause it (I have one but no longer need it so it could be removed)

Yes. It's a little late now, but generally the first step (before
replacing anything) is to disconnect ALL optional peripheral boards
and peripherals, and see if it works. If so, add them back one by
one until it fails. If not, then it's the core system.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 27-01-2016, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 26 Jan 2016 20:23:59 +0000, Charlie Pridham
wrote:

My fixation in windows 7 is just because its the last version that my
Label station printer software works on and changing to the new software
would involve rewriting thousands of Labels

There must be a way to get around LabelStation compatibility. I took a
Word 7 file with a 100 or so addresses to a printers and asked if he
could print sticky labels. He put my CD into a PC and a LabelStation
of some sort started printing. I went back later and it was all done.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software for Windows http://www.npsnn.com

Old 27-01-2016, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I recently managed to salvage my old computer onto a windows 7 machine,

Far to much worry and work until you have tried running your printer
software on a newer (not nessary new machine)
Running new computers with the latest OS and putting it into
'compatibilty' mode works in very many cases.

At least try , you may be surprised. Fingers crossed
www.lincolnfuchsiasociety.info
Old 27-01-2016, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I recently managed to salvage my old computer onto a windows 7 machine,

Far to much worry and work until you have tried running your printer
software on a newer (not nessary new machine)
Running new computers with the latest OS and putting it into
'compatibilty' mode works in very many cases.

It tends to work with application software but device drivers are
another matter. Vista and Win7 both orphaned a lot of perfectly good
hardware because the makers could not be bothered to provide drivers.

Old 27-01-2016, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I recently managed to salvage my old computer onto a windows 7 machine,

Far to much worry and work until you have tried running your printer
software on a newer (not nessary new machine)
Running new computers with the latest OS and putting it into
'compatibilty' mode works in very many cases.

Not always. I have a CD that won't play on any OS more recent than W7
so I'm not upgrading. It's the driver based CD copy protection that
has not been changed for W8 or W10. There are other CDs that use the
same copy protection.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software for Windows http://www.npsnn.com

Old 27-01-2016, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote

[...]

Charlie, I doubt this is or ever was a hardware problem, sounds more like a
problem with the OS and drivers.
Did you use a backup of the OS from you other working machine to start the
old machine? That would never work and the more you change the hardware in
the old machine the problem gets worse.
A clean install of a proper copy of Windows 7 and all drivers would be the
way I would go but you would need the original key.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 27-01-2016, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I recently managed to salvage my old computer onto a windows 7 machine,

Far to much worry and work until you have tried running your printer
software on a newer (not nessary new machine)
Running new computers with the latest OS and putting it into
'compatibilty' mode works in very many cases.

At least try , you may be surprised. Fingers crossed
www.lincolnfuchsiasociety.info

I already know it wont work from before, its not the printer, That will
work fine on windows 8 and 10 but the software it uses will not pick up
all the older label files without having to re write them all

Old 27-01-2016, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I recently managed to salvage my old computer onto a windows 7 machine,

Far to much worry and work until you have tried running your printer
software on a newer (not nessary new machine)
Running new computers with the latest OS and putting it into
'compatibilty' mode works in very many cases.

At least try , you may be surprised. Fingers crossed
www.lincolnfuchsiasociety.info

I already know it wont work from before, its not the printer, That will
work fine on windows 8 and 10 but the software it uses will not pick up
all the older label files without having to re write them all

That sounds a very unlikely fault. There may be a problem with file
permissions in how the software installs itself or it has very fixed
ideas about where things have to sit that are no longer met.

But filenames haven't changed radically between Win7 and later versions
like they did when FAT32 went out of fashion in favour of NTFS or DOS
8.3 filenames bit the dust. Some directory structures and default
permissions may be tighter though and that might cause issues.

Usually the problem is system level device drivers will not load or
report errors when loading or just fail to work reliably.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 28-01-2016, 09:41 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Brown View Post
wrote:

I recently managed to salvage my old computer onto a windows 7 machine,

Far to much worry and work until you have tried running your printer
software on a newer (not nessary new machine)
Running new computers with the latest OS and putting it into
'compatibilty' mode works in very many cases.

At least try , you may be surprised. Fingers crossed
Lincoln and District Fuchsia Society

[...]

How did you install the drivers ?
Carp fishing
Repairs UK