Old 01-02-2016, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Which rose I wonder

Bought this in the sale at Wyvale's. They have no idea what kind of rose
it is, and their records only list it as "climbing/bush", which isn't
very helpful. Mattocks don't appear to have a functioning email, so I
wonder if anyone can hazard a guess as to what type it might be. It's
about 4" x 4" and is looking pretty vigorous compared to our other roses.

http://i64.tinypic.com/mhavsk.jpg

Old 01-02-2016, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/02/2016 15:53, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 1 Feb 2016 14:22:48 +0000, stuart noble
wrote:

Bought this in the sale at Wyvale's. They have no idea what kind of rose
it is, and their records only list it as "climbing/bush", which isn't
very helpful. Mattocks don't appear to have a functioning email, so I
wonder if anyone can hazard a guess as to what type it might be. It's
about 4" x 4" and is looking pretty vigorous compared to our other roses.

http://i64.tinypic.com/mhavsk.jpg

Until it does a bit more that it has so far, like flowering, I doubt
if anyone can help.

I take it you've found Mattock's web site http://tinyurl.com/jhup8sm
and seen their email address

Yes, email bounced but might try again.
I'll probably keep it in its pot for a year and see what occurs. Thanks.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"stuart noble" wrote

Bought this in the sale at Wyvale's. They have no idea what kind of rose it
is, and their records only list it as "climbing/bush", which isn't very
helpful. Mattocks don't appear to have a functioning email, so I wonder if
anyone can hazard a guess as to what type it might be. It's about 4" x 4"
and is looking pretty vigorous compared to our other roses.

http://i64.tinypic.com/mhavsk.jpg

I presume you have seen this list... it must be one of those....

http://www.wyevalegardencentres.co.u...Mattocks+Roses

Fancy selling roses without a name, could only be Wyvales. To think they
have just bought Witch Cross GC which used to stock 600 varieties of rose,
bet they ruin that too.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/02/2016 16:39, Chris Hogg wrote:

wrote:

Bought this in the sale at Wyvale's. They have no idea what kind of rose
it is, and their records only list it as "climbing/bush", which isn't
very helpful. Mattocks don't appear to have a functioning email, so I
wonder if anyone can hazard a guess as to what type it might be. It's
about 4" x 4" and is looking pretty vigorous compared to our other roses.

http://i64.tinypic.com/mhavsk.jpg

Until it does a bit more that it has so far, like flowering, I doubt
if anyone can help.

I take it you've found Mattock's web site http://tinyurl.com/jhup8sm
and seen their email address

Yes, email bounced but might try again.
I'll probably keep it in its pot for a year and see what occurs. Thanks.

Alternatively try this
http://www.robertmattockroses.com/ and more
particularly their email

Ah, cheers Chris
Old 02-02-2016, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/02/2016 14:22, stuart noble wrote:
Bought this in the sale at Wyvale's. They have no idea what kind of rose
it is, and their records only list it as "climbing/bush", which isn't
very helpful. Mattocks don't appear to have a functioning email, so I
wonder if anyone can hazard a guess as to what type it might be. It's
about 4" x 4" and is looking pretty vigorous compared to our other roses.

http://i64.tinypic.com/mhavsk.jpg

As Chris has said, you won't get an id until it is in flower, when you
can a)check it in Mattock's catalogue or b)post it here again so we can
all have a go, and admire it at the same time.

In the meantime, I would use some very sharp secateurs to cut away the
die-back (where the rose stem has been pruned too high above the
selected bud and subsequently died back to that bud. If left, the
die-back could travel further down the stem (db is a fungal disease) and
gradually kill it. If you're in any doubt as to the damage I mean, look
at the spindly shoot near the base of the rose which is pointing Front
Left. It is so spindly, you might as well remove it all together. One
or two other of the main stems are also showing signs of die-back, but
they're very close to a joint. Not easy to trim, but if it were my rose
I would try.

--
Spider
On high ground in SE London

Old 02-02-2016, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/02/2016 15:53, Spider wrote:
[...]

Thank you, Spider. I will take your advice, but my secateurs may not be
razor sharp! I'm in SE London at 62m above sea level. Does that qualify
as "high ground"?
Old 02-02-2016, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

I don't see the problem.
You have got a couple of e mail addresses for Mattock's
Email them with a close up of the label which has the bar code, they
should be able to identify it from that.
David @ a side of Swansea bay that was actually rain free all day.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/02/2016 20:51, David Hill wrote:
[...]

Except the barcode is Wyvale's, and *their* records only tell us it's a
rose! I'll take Spider's advice and see how it looks in the summer.
£17.99 full retail price, so hopefully something a bit special
Old 03-02-2016, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/02/2016 19:45, stuart noble wrote:
[...]

You're welcome .... sharpen them! .... yup, that's high ground:~).

--
Spider
On high ground in SE London
Old 03-02-2016, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Spider wrote:

Thank you, Spider. I will take your advice, but my secateurs may not be
razor sharp! I'm in SE London at 62m above sea level. Does that qualify
as "high ground"?

You're welcome .... sharpen them! .... yup, that's high ground:~).

I am on high ground, by local standards - 15 metres above sea level.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/02/2016 09:17, stuart noble wrote:
[...]

Whilst the bar code is Wyevales a lot of products are labelled at source
so it could have been put on by Mattocks prior to dispatch, I'd have
thought it would be worth the cost of an Email.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/02/2016 17:12, David Hill wrote:
[...]

Thanks, I have emailed the 2nd address and included the barcode