Old 01-02-2016, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Orchid Flower life

Over the weekend the last flower on my phal orchid fell off,
after the single stem (albeit branched) had been in open flower
for 6 months and 2 days. The last flower hung on alone for
about 3 weeks.

Is this a normal flowering period, or short or exceptionally
long?

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 01-02-2016, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Roger Tonkin" wrote

Over the weekend the last flower on my phal orchid fell off,
after the single stem (albeit branched) had been in open flower
for 6 months and 2 days. The last flower hung on alone for
about 3 weeks.

Is this a normal flowering period, or short or exceptionally
long?

That is perhaps longer than most but they can be in almost constant
flowering. We have a white one that as one spike has dropped it's flowers
they have opened on the other. Good value plants considering what cut
flowers cost and how long they last.

You may find your local Sainsbury's still has some Orchids for sale at £5
each, they seem to get some in every year in January and we have bought a
few over the last couple of years.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Roger Tonkin" wrote

says...

"Roger Tonkin" wrote

Over the weekend the last flower on my phal orchid fell off,
after the single stem (albeit branched) had been in open flower
for 6 months and 2 days. The last flower hung on alone for
about 3 weeks.

Is this a normal flowering period, or short or exceptionally
long?

That is perhaps longer than most but they can be in almost constant
flowering. We have a white one that as one spike has dropped it's flowers
they have opened on the other. Good value plants considering what cut
flowers cost and how long they last.

You may find your local Sainsbury's still has some Orchids for sale at £5
each, they seem to get some in every year in January and we have bought a
few over the last couple of years.

I've never managed to have more than one flower spike at a
time. I just put them up into a cool north facing room once
they've finished flowering, until the next spike develops.

It's a change in temperature that initiates flowering in these orchids. You
probably already know, but never cut off a flower spike unless it goes brown
as they usually re-flower on the same spike by extending it or branching.
You may also get a Keiki, a baby plant, grow on the old spike which you can
leave for as long as possible to get good roots before cutting off and
potting up.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/02/16 22:58, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Roger Tonkin" wrote

I've never managed to have more than one flower spike at a
time. I just put them up into a cool north facing room once
they've finished flowering, until the next spike develops.

It's a change in temperature that initiates flowering in these orchids. You
probably already know, but never cut off a flower spike unless it goes brown
as they usually re-flower on the same spike by extending it or branching.
You may also get a Keiki, a baby plant, grow on the old spike which you can
leave for as long as possible to get good roots before cutting off and
potting up.

I've had a Keiki on one of my phals for around a year. The roots are
around 20cm long, so I guess I can pot it up. I was wondering about
leaving it on the original plant to see if I could get a Keiki on a
Keiki in a few years!

A friend bought us a flowering phal from M&S a couple of years ago. It
had three flower spikes, somewhat unusually. But a few months ago the
leaves started going black and have all gone, leaving a hard stump. It
is still flowering on one spike, but will it produce new leaves from the
stump or maybe elsewhere? Or not at all, for that matter, and pass on...

--

Jeff

Old 02-02-2016, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:

It's a change in temperature that initiates flowering in these orchids.

I have found that some of mine have responded surprisingly
favourably to life on a north facing windowsill, behind a curtain
which covers the radiator after dark.

Clearly it will experience quite a swing in temperature, but some
of them seem to like it.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old 02-02-2016, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/02/2016 16:29, Roger Tonkin wrote:
Over the weekend the last flower on my phal orchid fell off,
after the single stem (albeit branched) had been in open flower
for 6 months and 2 days. The last flower hung on alone for
about 3 weeks.

Is this a normal flowering period, or short or exceptionally
long?

Interestingly, I've never noted the flowering period of mine except,
perhaps to observe that some go over more quickly than others (still
talking Phals here). Mind you, I have loads of Phals, so keeping a
calendar could become time-consuming! My experience is that the whites
often flower for a long time (months not weeks). If you also keep it
relatively cool (some of my neighbours homes are like ovens), that would
prolong flowering life, too.

--
Spider
On high ground in SE London
Old 02-02-2016, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/02/2016 16:53, Roger Tonkin wrote:
In article ,
says...

On 01/02/2016 16:29, Roger Tonkin wrote:
Over the weekend the last flower on my phal orchid fell off,
after the single stem (albeit branched) had been in open flower
for 6 months and 2 days. The last flower hung on alone for
about 3 weeks.

Is this a normal flowering period, or short or exceptionally
long?

Interestingly, I've never noted the flowering period of mine except,
perhaps to observe that some go over more quickly than others (still
talking Phals here). Mind you, I have loads of Phals, so keeping a
calendar could become time-consuming! My experience is that the whites
often flower for a long time (months not weeks). If you also keep it
relatively cool (some of my neighbours homes are like ovens), that would
prolong flowering life, too.

This was a pinky one, my white has has been in full flower now
since the 11th Setember.

I try and water them evry 4 weeks (by standing them up to the
top of the pot in rain water for half an hour - to help this
process, I have a little piece of paper under each one, with
the last watering date on, so I just note when it comes out
into flower as well. Mind you, I've only got 2 phals to deal
with.

At the moment, I have 17 phals. I also have quite a few paphs, cymbs
and cambria types, plus one Cattaleya. Well over 30 orchids in all.
This takes quite a bit of care. I try to water mine somewhere between 2
and 3 weeks, remembering to feed as well occasionally. I tend to use a
special orchid 'bloom' feed to encourage flowers, although my cymbs get
a very weak Tomorite feed whilst outdoors in the summer. This seems to
suit them. One of my cymbs had 5 flower spikes, another had 7!! I have
2 others which are not up to flowering strength yet because I had to
divide them.

About five of my phals came to me via an elderly neighbour who can't
look after hers any more. She tended to water hers with cold tea (less
milk!) which she swore was good for them. What it has actually done is
stained the roots brownish-black which means they can't photosynthesise
through their roots. I tried to warn her this was happening, but she
continued with the tea regime. Even now I own them, they all still have
some stained roots and are weaker plants because of it, and I've had
them at least three years! Gradually, though, new roots are replacing
the stained ones.

--
Spider
On high ground in SE London
Old 02-02-2016, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff Layman" wrote
I've had a Keiki on one of my phals for around a year. The roots are around
20cm long, so I guess I can pot it up. I was wondering about leaving it on
the original plant to see if I could get a Keiki on a Keiki in a few years!

A friend bought us a flowering phal from M&S a couple of years ago. It had
three flower spikes, somewhat unusually. But a few months ago the leaves
started going black and have all gone, leaving a hard stump. It is still
flowering on one spike, but will it produce new leaves from the stump or
maybe elsewhere? Or not at all, for that matter, and pass on...

IME once all the leaves have gone the plant is dead. It's usually caused by
water being left in the crown of the plant overnight (or for any long time).
I am always very careful to dry any water that I may get in/on the crown of
the plant when watering. I do however wipe the leaves with a damp cloth to
keep them clean of dust.

The best way to water these orchids or any other for that matter is to place
the pot in a bucket with water level with the rim of the pot and leave it
there for, say, an hour to soak. Drain it well. Then place back in it's
growing place. The water should be rain water at room temperature of course
and should contain fertilizer at the appropriate strength with an occasional
watering with plain water. Always best to water in the morning so the plants
have time to dry before night.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote
[...]

What I find interesting is that I water about every 10 days in winter and
every week in summer or even more if it's really hot. Just so long as they
almost dry between waterings. It's why clear pots are so useful.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 03-02-2016, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/02/2016 23:13, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Spider" wrote
[...]

I used to water mine about every ten days but, with the years, the time
has slipped a bit. I'm sure your method is best. I suspect I've
shortened the flowering period of some flowering stems by being so
tardy. And, yes, I confess I much prefer the clear pots, although I
wish more of them had that basal rim which helps with drainage.

--
Spider
On high ground in SE London