Old 14-02-2016, 10:27 AM
Registered User

Default Grass advice

Hi,

I had new turf laid last summer and it seemed they did a very good job. It was all immaculate until winter set in and now there are parts of the garden which are just soil and no grass (I will attach an image if possible). Also, there seems to be some moss growing now in these areas.

My question is, what should I do about it? Should I leave until spring? Should I start doing something now? If so, what should I be doing?

Many thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Grass advice-phpp6yqueam.jpg
Old 14-02-2016, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"jumanji007" wrote
I had new turf laid last summer and it seemed they did a very good job.
It was all immaculate until winter set in and now there are parts of the
garden which are just soil and no grass (I will attach an image if
possible). Also, there seems to be some moss growing now in these
areas.

My question is, what should I do about it? Should I leave until spring?
Should I start doing something now? If so, what should I be doing?

If you think that's bad you should see mine, it's devoid of grass for large
parts and just a muddy patch where water now collects when it rains despite
being forked deeply and sand brushed in a couple of times over the last few
years. This winter has been the worst I can remember for wet weather. Hardly
a day has gone by without some rain and that is the problem.
I will re-turf in the spring when it's dried out because the bare patches
are so large but you can just over sow with seed as your grass is just a bit
thin.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 14-02-2016, 10:39 PM
Registered User

Hi Chris, that link didn't work?

Thanks both for your comments
Old 15-02-2016, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 23:39:00 +0100, jumanji007
wrote:

Hi Chris, that link didn't work?

Works ok here.
Old 15-02-2016, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi Jumanji,

On Sunday, 14 February 2016 15:25:06 UTC, jumanji007 wrote:

I had new turf laid last summer and it seemed they did a very good job.
It was all immaculate until winter set in and now there are parts of the
garden which are just soil and no grass

I too have had real problems this winter - see my thread he

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/uk.r...0/TEiobQMVAgAJ

(I will attach an image if possible).

What I've give for such a lush lawn like that! ;-)

My question is, what should I do about it? Should I leave until spring?
Should I start doing something now? If so, what should I be doing?

In my case I think there are a number of contributory factors - possible drainage issues and certainly a pest (leatherjacket) problem. I hope to address some aspects of the former in the summer, with the latter to be tackled spring and autumn as per my thread above.

In the meantime I intend to overseed in the spring just to see if I've got any chance of having some grass for the summer.

I shall keep an eye out for any responses to your plea with interest.

Mathew

Old 16-02-2016, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In my case I think there are a number of contributory factors -
possible drainage issues and certainly a pest (leatherjacket)
problem.

I think I might reverse that. Certainly drainage issues (in common with
most gardeners) and possibly a problem with some hydrophilic pest!
The bowling green round the corner isn't looking too clever, and those
guys know about such things :-)