Old 15-02-2016, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default soak hoses watering

I am considering the watering hoses which leak water out all the way along
them. There are a number of different types/makes.

Anyone have experience or recommendations regarding same please?

Old 15-02-2016, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Judith in
England writes

I am considering the watering hoses which leak water out all the way along
them. There are a number of different types/makes.

Anyone have experience or recommendations regarding same please?

You can easily DIY one. Just use an ordinary plastic hosepipe, make lots
of holes in it with a hot soldering iron - and block the far end, of
course.
--
Ian
Old 15-02-2016, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 13:03:07 +0000, Judith in England
wrote:

I am considering the watering hoses which leak water out all the way along
them. There are a number of different types/makes.

Anyone have experience or recommendations regarding same please?

DIY? If I wanted to produce a watering method like that I would punch
holes in a hose as needed. It will need a lot of pressure to get the
water to the holes further along the hose.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software for Windows http://www.npsnn.com

Old 15-02-2016, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I am considering the watering hoses which leak water out all the way along
them. There are a number of different types/makes.

Anyone have experience or recommendations regarding same please?

DIY? If I wanted to produce a watering method like that I would punch
holes in a hose as needed. It will need a lot of pressure to get the
water to the holes further along the hose.

Steve

That's why it's called "destroy-it-yourself" ;~)

--
Spider
On high ground in SE London
Old 15-02-2016, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in England" wrote
I am considering the watering hoses which leak water out all the way along
them. There are a number of different types/makes.

Anyone have experience or recommendations regarding same please?

A few years ago I installed a soak hose all around our garden, being small
it wasn't a problem cost wise. Excellent and highly recommended, just have
to turn on the tap of an evening and turn it off in the morning and
everything is watered for a week.
From memory I think ours was Hozelock because that's all the GC had.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 15-02-2016, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 14:39:27 +0000, Bob Hobden wrote:

"Judith in England" wrote
I am considering the watering hoses which leak water out all the way
along them. There are a number of different types/makes.

Anyone have experience or recommendations regarding same please?

A few years ago I installed a soak hose all around our garden, being
small it wasn't a problem cost wise. Excellent and highly recommended,
just have to turn on the tap of an evening and turn it off in the
morning and everything is watered for a week.
From memory I think ours was Hozelock because that's all the GC had.

Thank you - much appreciated.

I should be able to find something; there is a B&Q and a Golden Days
close to me.
Old 15-02-2016, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Spider
writes
wrote:

I am considering the watering hoses which leak water out all the way along
them. There are a number of different types/makes.

Anyone have experience or recommendations regarding same please?

DIY? If I wanted to produce a watering method like that I would punch
holes in a hose as needed. It will need a lot of pressure to get the
water to the holes further along the hose.

Steve

That's why it's called "destroy-it-yourself" ;~)

If it is necessary to equalise the 'leakage', towards the far end of the
hose, simply increase the size (or frequency) of the holes.
--
Ian
Old 15-02-2016, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Judith wrote:

On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 14:39:27 +0000, Bob Hobden wrote:

"Judith in England" wrote
I am considering the watering hoses which leak water out all the way
along them. There are a number of different types/makes.

Anyone have experience or recommendations regarding same please?

A few years ago I installed a soak hose all around our garden, being
small it wasn't a problem cost wise. Excellent and highly recommended,
just have to turn on the tap of an evening and turn it off in the
morning and everything is watered for a week.
From memory I think ours was Hozelock because that's all the GC had.

Thank you - much appreciated.

I should be able to find something; there is a B&Q and a Golden Days
close to me.

I have installed some lengths of porous hose which I obtained
reasonably priced on ebay, and it seems to be working well. The
material does need careful handling, and if kinked can tear,
however a bag of assorted Ts and joins are quite cheap.

Having sections running in parallel, or as a large loop, rather
than a single long line, can help with pressure drop at the far
end.

Best laid out before your plants put on growth - you can see what
you are doing.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old 15-02-2016, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 17:26:20 +0000, Chris J Dixon wrote:

Thank you - much appreciated.

I should be able to find something; there is a B&Q and a Golden Days
close to me.

I have installed some lengths of porous hose which I obtained reasonably
priced on ebay, and it seems to be working well. The material does need
careful handling, and if kinked can tear, however a bag of assorted Ts
and joins are quite cheap.

Having sections running in parallel, or as a large loop, rather than a
single long line, can help with pressure drop at the far end.

Best laid out before your plants put on growth - you can see what you
are doing.

Yes - must get going on the garden. My patch has afternoon sun, and with
the weather forecast for the next two weeks showing no freezing after
tomorrow it may soon be time for digging.
Old 16-02-2016, 10:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Anyone have experience or recommendations regarding same please?

I use a soak hose, under the soil, great for getting the water to the
roots, both my strawberry and raspberry beds, have buried hoses, which
have one end comming up above ground. I connect up a normal hose, when
needed, and you can then see the change in the colour of the soil, as
the water goes directly to the roots. The soak hose was installed
before the fruit was planted.

Old 17-02-2016, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Anyone have experience or recommendations regarding same please?

I use a soak hose, under the soil, great for getting the water to the
roots, both my strawberry and raspberry beds, have buried hoses, which
have one end comming up above ground. I connect up a normal hose, when
needed, and you can then see the change in the colour of the soil, as
the water goes directly to the roots. The soak hose was installed
before the fruit was planted.

Thanks

Okay I've got this nice juicy mealworm - I think I'll soak him in the water a little bit Paddy's Pig[_5_] Garden Photos 0 29-09-2010 02:20 AM
Lots of small soak aways kitey United Kingdom 3 02-05-2008 09:34 AM
Splash or soak? Sacha United Kingdom 1 13-04-2006 03:40 PM
Buried soak-away cover: planting suggestions please Chris Hogg United Kingdom 3 27-09-2004 10:15 PM
Longest time to soak roses? Jean S. Barto Roses 7 08-04-2003 05:44 PM