Old 08-03-2016, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Costo's selling big Orange and Olive trees

Just back from Costco at Sunbury and they are selling big Orange trees in
full flower at £60 each, would cost you many times more from a citrus
nursery and that's if they had similar. Also large old knarled Olive trees.
Probably have them in other branches too.
Knowing how they keep plants get there sooner rather than later before they
kill them, and you might have a job getting the citrus into a normal car,
the Olive trees will certainly need a big van.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Old 08-03-2016, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
Just back from Costco at Sunbury and they are selling big Orange trees
in full flower at £60 each, would cost you many times more from a citrus
nursery and that's if they had similar. Also large old knarled Olive
trees. Probably have them in other branches too.

'branches', very good. Won't they be killed off, though, in a very bad
winter? Or are you planning to keep it indoors?

Old 08-03-2016, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dan S. MacAbre" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:
Just back from Costco at Sunbury and they are selling big Orange trees
in full flower at £60 each, would cost you many times more from a citrus
nursery and that's if they had similar. Also large old knarled Olive
trees. Probably have them in other branches too.

'branches', very good. Won't they be killed off, though, in a very bad
winter? Or are you planning to keep it indoors?

We already have too many citrus trees (7) so will not be buying any more
despite these being absurdly cheap and excellent quality. Yes they do need
protection from the frost, we take ours into our garage (which has a twin
walled clear plastic roof) over the worst of the winter.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 12-04-2018, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 12 Apr 2018 07:08:52 -0700, lindabates wrote:

On Tuesday, March 8, 2016 at 10:42:25 PM UTC, Janet wrote:
In article , says...

Bob Hobden wrote:
Just back from Costco at Sunbury and they are selling big Orange
trees in full flower at £60 each, would cost you many times more
from a citrus nursery and that's if they had similar. Also large
old knarled Olive trees. Probably have them in other branches too.

'branches', very good. Won't they be killed off, though, in a very
bad winter? Or are you planning to keep it indoors?

Olive trees should survive outdoors in mild areas. I've got one
that's
thrived outside for 14 years with no protection or damage at all.

Janet (Isle of Arran)

Can you grow the olive trees in the pots or do they need to go in the
ground?
The offer seems to good to be true when you look at the price of similar
trees online.

Linda Bates

Always assuming they are still on sale at that price two years later.

Olive trees grow fine in pots in the SE.

Citrus need some protection from harsh winters but will also survive all
year round in pots.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old 12-04-2018, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David wrote:
On Thu, 12 Apr 2018 07:08:52 -0700, lindabates wrote:
On Tuesday, March 8, 2016 at 10:42:25 PM UTC, Janet wrote:

Olive trees should survive outdoors in mild areas. I've got one
that's
thrived outside for 14 years with no protection or damage at all.

Janet (Isle of Arran)

Olive trees grow fine in pots in the SE.

Citrus need some protection from harsh winters but will also survive all
year round in pots.

I wouldn't bet on it, except in mild areas. The soil in pots freezes
where I am, and Cambridge is still the south-east! Citrus is a very
variable species/genus/whatever, and some are pretty hardy but others
are very tender. That being said, pots are often a better bet, as
waterlogging kills more such plants than freezing.

Our olive (a gift last year) seems to have come through OK in a pot
with no protection, but I brought the citrus in.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-04-2018, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

We have 7 Citrus trees, all in large plastic pots so easier to
move in winter into our twin walled plastic roofed garage. They will be
coming out against a S. facing wall next week for the summer.

Costco did have some of the large old olive trees at Sunbury on Monday
9 April 2018 and some rather nice looking Rhododendrons too together
with some fruit trees.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden