Old 18-03-2016, 02:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Outdoor plants that can be particular;ly successfully grown indoors

Hello all,

I was active on here up to about 5 years ago when I moved to China. I
am now back in the UK (Midlands), because my health has declined,
rendering me a little bit housebound, and that is the reason for this
post.

I cannot feasibly do any outdoor gardening just now because my feet and
legs dont work well enough. However, I do want to keep an active
interest in gardening. I hope, though this is a faint hope, that I
could improve in the future, though this would be a slow process.

So, my question is: I would like to grow some flowers that are usually
grown outside inside. I am hoping for flowers that give scent as well
as colour. Can any of you recommend particularly successful plants that
could be grown inside, even though they are usually looked upon as
outsoor plants?

I would be growing them in a living room, kitchen, bathroom, bedrooms
which are a mixture of south, west, and north facing.

Ideally, I would like to grow for scent as well as colour, but I know
that will not always be possible. I'd be happy to grow either from seed
or by buying in plug or other types of growing plants. Simple herbs and
perhaps even tomatoes grown inside could also be a possibility.

Thanks.

--
David D S: Stoke-on-Trent, UK (and ex PR China: Hunan Province)
Old 18-03-2016, 08:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David D S" wrote
[...]

Welcome back David, sorry to hear of your health problems.

My only comment on your request is why restrict it to outdoor plants as
there are some that thrive indoors, including flowering with a pleasant
perfume, whilst they will not take outdoor conditions. I am thinking of a
number of the small flowered Dendrobium orchids like D. kingianum and there
are others in that and different genera.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 19-03-2016, 12:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , own says...

[...]

welcome back to urg.Sorry you've not been well.

Seasonal bulbs and corms are one of the easier options; scented
hyacinths, some of the narcissi and cyclamen. There's still time to
plant scented freesias to flower in summer.
There are a lot of scented geraniums (though you have to brush the
leaves to release the scent); kitchen herbs.

Janet
Old 21-03-2016, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Many thanks to you all for first welcoming me back and for your best
wishes. Also, I am very grateful for your suggestions. I am going to
put them to the test. I need to buy any plants via mailorder, so I need
to know which orchids to try that would be easy to grow for a beginner.
So I am researching that right now. I had already took steps to get
some Freesias, so I will see how they get along. Also various herbs,
too.

Once again, many thanks for your help.