GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   onion sets mystery! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/212589-onion-sets-mystery.html)

Chris[_3_] 02-04-2016 07:05 AM

onion sets mystery!

Yesterday I put in onion sets and netted them to stop birds pulling them
out.
This morning many of them are out of the ground.
Some have moved about five inches!
What can have done this?
Worms?
Slugs?
(Are slug pellets needed?)
Is this a known phenomenon?
What's the answer?
I suppose plant them very deep?
--
Chris

Jeff Layman[_2_] 02-04-2016 08:22 AM

onion sets mystery!

On 02/04/16 07:05, Chris wrote:
Yesterday I put in onion sets and netted them to stop birds pulling them
out.
This morning many of them are out of the ground.
Some have moved about five inches!
What can have done this?
Worms?
Slugs?
(Are slug pellets needed?)
Is this a known phenomenon?
What's the answer?
I suppose plant them very deep?

What sort of net? How high was it above the sets?

--

Jeff

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 02-04-2016 09:42 PM

onion sets mystery!

On 02/04/2016 07:05, Chris wrote:
Yesterday I put in onion sets and netted them to stop birds pulling them
out.
This morning many of them are out of the ground.
Some have moved about five inches!
What can have done this?
Worms?
Slugs?
(Are slug pellets needed?)
Is this a known phenomenon?
What's the answer?
I suppose plant them very deep?

Birds, big ones, net not high enough!

--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Jim Chisholm 03-04-2016 05:51 PM

onion sets mystery!

On 02/04/2016 08:22, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 02/04/16 07:05, Chris wrote:
Yesterday I put in onion sets and netted them to stop birds pulling them
out.
This morning many of them are out of the ground.
Some have moved about five inches!
What can have done this?
Worms?
Slugs?
(Are slug pellets needed?)
Is this a known phenomenon?
What's the answer?
I suppose plant them very deep?

What sort of net? How high was it above the sets?

Mine were covered by mesh, just placed on the surface, and held in place
by pegs & bricks yet the onion sets 'moved'. I recon mice?
This isn't the first year that has happened!
Jim