GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   mind-your-own-business or baby's tear drops (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/212604-mind-your-own-business-babys-tear-drops.html)

David Hill 06-04-2016 07:42 PM

mind-your-own-business or baby's tear drops

I hear of people moaning about this much derided plant but one really
great use for it is for lining your hanging baskets instead of moss.
Makes a really good liner that doesn't end up looking brown for half the
summer.
David@ a damp side of Swansea Bay.

Spider[_3_] 08-04-2016 07:21 PM

On 06/04/2016 19:42, David Hill wrote:
I hear of people moaning about this much derided plant but one really
great use for it is for lining your hanging baskets instead of moss.
Makes a really good liner that doesn't end up looking brown for half the
summer.
David@ a damp side of Swansea Bay.

Good idea. I know some gardeners use moss raked from their lawns, but
even this dies eventually.

You have made me wonder whether myob would make a good companion plant
for orchids, growing on the top of the orchid compost to green things up
a bit. Would it be too dry, do you think?

--
Spider
On high ground in SE London

David Hill 08-04-2016 07:23 PM

On 08/04/2016 19:21, Spider wrote:
On 06/04/2016 19:42, David Hill wrote:
I hear of people moaning about this much derided plant but one really
great use for it is for lining your hanging baskets instead of moss.
Makes a really good liner that doesn't end up looking brown for half the
summer.
David@ a damp side of Swansea Bay.

Good idea. I know some gardeners use moss raked from their lawns, but
even this dies eventually.

You have made me wonder whether myob would make a good companion plant
for orchids, growing on the top of the orchid compost to green things up
a bit. Would it be too dry, do you think?

I think it would grow into the orchids and take over.

Spider[_3_] 08-04-2016 10:09 PM

On 08/04/2016 19:23, David Hill wrote:
On 08/04/2016 19:21, Spider wrote:
On 06/04/2016 19:42, David Hill wrote:
I hear of people moaning about this much derided plant but one really
great use for it is for lining your hanging baskets instead of moss.
Makes a really good liner that doesn't end up looking brown for half the
summer.
David@ a damp side of Swansea Bay.

Good idea. I know some gardeners use moss raked from their lawns, but
even this dies eventually.

You have made me wonder whether myob would make a good companion plant
for orchids, growing on the top of the orchid compost to green things up
a bit. Would it be too dry, do you think?

I think it would grow into the orchids and take over.

Ah, yes ... it does have a certain reputation! Pity, it looks
delightfully mossy in the right place. Thanks for your advice, David.

--
Spider
On high ground in SE London