Old 14-04-2016, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Glyphosate and the EU

European Parliament resolution of 13 April 2016 on the draft Commission
implementing regulation renewing the approval of the active substance
glyphosate in accordance with Regulation (EC) No 1107/2009 of the
European Parliament and of the Council concerning the placing of plant
protection products on the market, and amending the Annex to
Implementing Regulation (EU) No 540/2011 (D044281/01 – 2016/2624(RSP))
(http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do?pubRef=-//EP//TEXT+TA+P8-TA-2016-0119+0+DOC+XML+V0//EN&language=EN)

See recommendation 4:
"4. Calls on the Commission in particular not to approve any
non-professional uses of glyphosate;"

Better start stocking up now (unless we "Brexit"...)!

--

Jeff
Old 15-04-2016, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris Hogg wrote:

Suggestions welcomed for cost-efficient sources of
concentrated glyphosate please.

360g/l seems to be the "industrial strength" on Amazon/eBay. I bought a
litre a few years ago for about £13 probably half left, do I buy another
one at that price, or five litres for about double that ... choices,
choices ...

Old 15-04-2016, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/15/2016 11:10 AM, Chris Hogg wrote:

Reading through their catalogue of herbicides, I see they list Natural
Weed Spray, acetic acid 240g/litre, MAPP No: 12328, dilute 1:3 with
water for use. Harmful to bees, so not to be applied to plants in
flower. Has anyone any experience of this as a herbicide? The diluted
solution will be 60g/l acetic acid, which in other words is about 6%
vinegar, while culinary vinegar is about 4%. Does the latter work as a
herbicide, does anyone know?

Household vinegar is what my mother always used - she claimed it worked
well - I doubt it would be as effective as glyphosate, though.

Old 16-04-2016, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 09:07:38 +0100,
Jeff Layman wrote:
Then they will target all the professional
agricultural products. It' would be interesting to see, when the first
food shortages appear after a devastating pest attack (will it be a
fungus, insect, or something else, I wonder), who starts blaming whom.

I will blame the chemical industry and their genetically modified
already half-dead crops.

Michael
--
Location: Lower Normandy (Orne), France
GnuPG brainpoolP512r1/5C2A258D 2015-10-02 [expires: 2017-10-01]

Old 16-04-2016, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hils wrote:

If it makes you feel happier. In the Netherlands only professionals,
excluding local authorities are allowed to use it.

Which seems to be the model towards which the EU is moving, but the
proposals will mean that the average European gardener, allotment holder
or smallholder won't be able to use glyphosate, since they won't be able
to pay the "professionals" who will presumably be licensed by the state.

I don't believe this issue has anything at all to do with the EU.
Has the UK government given the OK to glyphosate?
As far as I can see, most western governments, starting with the US,
seem to believe glyphosate usage should be limited, if not banned.
It's really a matter of the scientific advice they get,
and is not a political issue.
I doubt if many governments would like to legalize a weed-killer
that they were told was harmful to humans.

--
Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 16-04-2016, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/04/16 17:31, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Hils wrote:

If it makes you feel happier. In the Netherlands only professionals,
excluding local authorities are allowed to use it.

Which seems to be the model towards which the EU is moving, but the
proposals will mean that the average European gardener, allotment holder
or smallholder won't be able to use glyphosate, since they won't be able
to pay the "professionals" who will presumably be licensed by the state.

I don't believe this issue has anything at all to do with the EU.
Has the UK government given the OK to glyphosate?
As far as I can see, most western governments, starting with the US,
seem to believe glyphosate usage should be limited, if not banned.
It's really a matter of the scientific advice they get,
and is not a political issue.
I doubt if many governments would like to legalize a weed-killer
that they were told was harmful to humans.

Alcohol? Tobacco? Government members do what they are paid to do by the
highest bidders, which are generally corporate vested interests. Those
interests, in this case primarily Monsanto, will be offering a lot more
after investing so much in developing glyphosate-dependent GM crops. For
decades Monsanto have built most of their development, marketing and
lobbying around "research" which is looking not so much shaky as
fraudulent. [1,2,3]

There is certainly opposition to gyphosate use in the US, but it has had
little impact so far: "In 2014, farmers sprayed enough glyphosate to
apply ~1.0 kg/ha (0.8 pound/acre) on every hectare of U.S.-cultivated
cropland and nearly 0.53 kg/ha (0.47 pounds/acre) on all cropland
worldwide." [4]

1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8308903.stm

2. http://www.naturalnews.com/051450_gl..._Monsanto.html

3.
http://theantimedia.org/lawsuit-accu...ty-of-roundup/

4. http://enveurope.springeropen.com/ar...302-016-0070-0
Old 17-04-2016, 08:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Timothy Murphy
writes
Hils wrote:

If it makes you feel happier. In the Netherlands only professionals,
excluding local authorities are allowed to use it.

Which seems to be the model towards which the EU is moving, but the
proposals will mean that the average European gardener, allotment holder
or smallholder won't be able to use glyphosate, since they won't be able
to pay the "professionals" who will presumably be licensed by the state.

I don't believe this issue has anything at all to do with the EU.
Has the UK government given the OK to glyphosate?
As far as I can see, most western governments, starting with the US,
seem to believe glyphosate usage should be limited, if not banned.
It's really a matter of the scientific advice they get,
and is not a political issue.
I doubt if many governments would like to legalize a weed-killer
that they were told was harmful to humans.

But if they banned everyone which was "probably" or "possibly" harmful
there may not be many left.
--
bert
Old 19-04-2016, 06:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 20:56:06 +0100,
bert wrote:
But if they banned everyone which was "probably" or "possibly" harmful
there may not be many left.

It would help, if people positively acknowledged and acted according to
the verdicts already pronounced, and the evidence already produced.

This clinging to the uncertain, this emphasizing on the supposed
contradictions does not advance anything and can only serve to keep
people from changing their habits.

If you are into keeping up your current practice by all means and into
denying anything which might become momentarily inconvenient, you are
free to do as you please, if you find a way that does not impose
inconvenience to everybody else.

Michael
Old 21-04-2016, 08:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://www.phyto-victimes.fr/
In France, farmers and victims of chemical agriculture have founded a
this association Phyto-Victimes.

Current events:
https://tinyurl.com/hzwxa3d

« On April 21, 2016 will pronounced the decision in the matter Dominique
Marchal, the farmer poisoned by pesticides ».

Old 21-04-2016, 10:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Everybody has a cancer here.
Those dead and those currently dying have all been chemical farmers. My
father in law was an agricultural worker who died from leukemia in the
cereal-desert of the Yvelinnes, his wife followed with a few more
diversified forms of cancer.

This is all just normal and as the life-expectation in our western
countries diminishes anyway, just confirms a natural trend. There is
always a way to ... whatever, I guess.

There is just one law, which cannot be invalidated, and that concerns
the definition of progress, which nowadays has nothing to do with the
human condition, just like sophistry has changed its meaning.

I have to accept it and keep my mouth shut.

You already won against my argumentation. Go ahead and stay happy.
Old 21-04-2016, 11:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris Hogg wrote:

There is a strong debate here in the UK over the vote in June as to
whether we remain in the EU, or leave. One of the many arguments
revolves around all the regulations imposed by Brussels on the use of
agricultural chemicals. It's often said that only the UK takes notice
of those regulations and everyone else ignores them. If the situation
is as you say, then that would seem to be the case.

Sigh.
The issue of glyphosate has absolutely nothing to do with the EU,
since there is no difference between the UK and EU on the subject.
Also, it is nonsense to say that only the UK takes notice
of this regulation.
In fact the Dutch are the leaders in pressing for glyphosate
to be banned.

Old 21-04-2016, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris Hogg wrote:

The issue of glyphosate has absolutely nothing to do with the EU,
since there is no difference between the UK and EU on the subject.
Also, it is nonsense to say that only the UK takes notice
of this regulation.
In fact the Dutch are the leaders in pressing for glyphosate
to be banned.

I deliberately avoided reference to glyphosate in my reply to Michael,
and kept my comment general. There is concern in the UK about the
agricultural regulations that come out of Brussels, and how rigorously
they are applied in mainland Europe. Whether true or whether just a
xenophobic reaction, is another matter.

If you are not talking about glyphosate
(which is the subject of the thread)
you should say what regulation you are talking about.

Old 21-04-2016, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Martin
writes
On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 12:14:58 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 12:42:49 +0200, Timothy Murphy
wrote:

Chris Hogg wrote:

There is a strong debate here in the UK over the vote in June as to
whether we remain in the EU, or leave. One of the many arguments
revolves around all the regulations imposed by Brussels on the use of
agricultural chemicals. It's often said that only the UK takes notice
of those regulations and everyone else ignores them. If the situation
is as you say, then that would seem to be the case.

Sigh.
The issue of glyphosate has absolutely nothing to do with the EU,
since there is no difference between the UK and EU on the subject.
Also, it is nonsense to say that only the UK takes notice
of this regulation.
In fact the Dutch are the leaders in pressing for glyphosate
to be banned.

another sigh

I deliberately avoided reference to glyphosate in my reply to Michael,
and kept my comment general. There is concern in the UK about the
agricultural regulations that come out of Brussels, and how rigorously
they are applied in mainland Europe. Whether true or whether just a
xenophobic reaction, is another matter.

At the end of this Daily Telegraph article is a fairly objective list of pros
and cons of Remain/Brexit.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...s-blood-toil-t
ears-and-sweat/

It's just a list of statement and counter statement and the order is
significant.
--
bert