GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Broccoli and aphids (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/212667-broccoli-aphids.html)

Nick Maclaren[_5_] 25-04-2016 05:35 PM

Broccoli and aphids

Does anyone know of a reasonably effective way of removing the
worst of the aphids before cooking broccoli? We aren't entirely
wimpish, but large numbers of aphids are unattractive, even if
nutritious.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

S Viemeister[_2_] 25-04-2016 06:01 PM

Broccoli and aphids

On 4/25/2016 12:35 PM, Nick Maclaren wrote:
Does anyone know of a reasonably effective way of removing the
worst of the aphids before cooking broccoli? We aren't entirely
wimpish, but large numbers of aphids are unattractive, even if
nutritious.

It's years since I grew broccoli, but I remember immersing it in a large
bowl of salted water, and waiting till the beasties came out. I think I
may also have used a bit of vinegar.

Nick Maclaren[_5_] 26-04-2016 12:20 PM

Broccoli and aphids

In article ,
S Viemeister wrote:

Does anyone know of a reasonably effective way of removing the
worst of the aphids before cooking broccoli? We aren't entirely
wimpish, but large numbers of aphids are unattractive, even if
nutritious.

It's years since I grew broccoli, but I remember immersing it in a large
bowl of salted water, and waiting till the beasties came out. I think I
may also have used a bit of vinegar.

That's roughly what I do, but with a bit of washing up liquid for
bad infestations. I will try vinegar.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.