GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Little Gem (Gem/Rolet) woes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/212715-little-gem-gem-rolet-woes.html)

Nick Maclaren[_5_] 12-05-2016 08:34 PM

Little Gem (Gem/Rolet) woes

It's hard to buy these, so I have saved seed - the seed germinates, but
some seedlings fail to thrive and others develop a swollen, distorted
stem and witches broom growing point, not always immediately. My books
etc. point to herbicide damage, but that doesn't make sense here. My
C. maxima and C. moschata (the former from many years of saved seed),
grown in the same way and together, are fine. And it seems to be
cumulative over generations, though my sample is too small to be quite
certain. Any ideas?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

BobHobden 14-05-2016 05:55 PM

Little Gem (Gem/Rolet) woes

"Nick Maclaren" wrote

It's hard to buy these, so I have saved seed - the seed germinates, but
some seedlings fail to thrive and others develop a swollen, distorted
stem and witches broom growing point, not always immediately. My books
etc. point to herbicide damage, but that doesn't make sense here. My
C. maxima and C. moschata (the former from many years of saved seed),
grown in the same way and together, are fine. And it seems to be
cumulative over generations, though my sample is too small to be quite
certain. Any ideas?

Virus?

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.