GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   ID a flower (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/212750-id-flower.html)

Phil L 18-05-2016 02:39 PM

ID a flower

My camera is out of action at the mo but I've found some flowers and don't
know what they are, they were growing through cracks in the paving under
last year's hanging baskets were at my local pub and I think they've seeded
from this.

They're about a foot tall, with mixed coloured flowers, the leaves are
pointy and thin almost like grass, the leaves are about an inch long, the
stems seem woody and sturdy, not floppy or succulent if that makes sense.
The flowers look like antirrhinum but I've googled for flowers similar to
antirrhinum and/or snapdragons and had no success.
They don't have masses of flowers just a few unlike antirrhinum, most of
them are purple, but some are yellow and one is yellow and pink on the same
bloom.
I've rescued them and they are now sitting in pots of compost in my
greenhouse, I'll put them in the front garden when they pick up a bit and
then in autumn I'll collect seeds now that I know they are viable and next
year hopeully grow a load for family and freinds, but obviously it would be
nice to have a name, anyone any pointers?

Phil L 18-05-2016 07:27 PM

ID a flower

Phil L wrote:

I've managed to upload a photo:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2nq5...9#.VzyzvkiANv4

I have other photos but I'll have to edit them if anyone wants them uploaded

Jeff Layman[_2_] 18-05-2016 07:32 PM

ID a flower

On 18/05/16 19:27, Phil L wrote:
Phil L wrote:

I've managed to upload a photo:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2nq5...9#.VzyzvkiANv4

I have other photos but I'll have to edit them if anyone wants them uploaded

Looks like a Linaria to me, but I don't know which one.

--

Jeff

Phil L 18-05-2016 07:40 PM

ID a flower

Jeff Layman wrote:
On 18/05/16 19:27, Phil L wrote:
Phil L wrote:

I've managed to upload a photo:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2nq5...9#.VzyzvkiANv4

I have other photos but I'll have to edit them if anyone wants them
uploaded

Looks like a Linaria to me, but I don't know which one.

Just googled images and you are probably right, I'll have a proper look
tomorrow as I have to go out now, cheers Jeff!

Janet 18-05-2016 07:44 PM

ID a flower

In article ,
says...

Phil L wrote:

I've managed to upload a photo:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2nq5...9#.VzyzvkiANv4

I have other photos but I'll have to edit them if anyone wants them uploaded

purple toadflax?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linaria_purpurea

Janet

Stewart Robert Hinsley 18-05-2016 07:47 PM

ID a flower

On 18/05/2016 19:32, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 18/05/16 19:27, Phil L wrote:
Phil L wrote:

I've managed to upload a photo:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2nq5...9#.VzyzvkiANv4

I have other photos but I'll have to edit them if anyone wants them
uploaded

Looks like a Linaria to me, but I don't know which one.

I suspect Linaria maroccana.

--
SRH

Phil L 20-05-2016 07:44 PM

ID a flower

Phil L wrote:
[...]

Thanks to all who replied, given that there's such an array of colours, I've
a feeling it's just a mixed bag, typing 'linaria mixed' into google brings
up linaria fairy bouquet mixed, {1} which appears to be filed under 'seeds
for kids' so should suit my gardening skills :-) there's a pack cntaining
6300 seeds from suttons for £1.75, hardy down to -15 and drought resistant
so pretty much idiot proof, I'm going to order some for the borders which
have been taken over by wildflowers.
Everything that drops a seed grows inbetween the paving in my garden, it's
currently a mass of forget-me-nots and hundreds of mimulus tigrinis (tiger
monkey flower)[2], they all grow like weeds in every crack.
I've a feeling that next year they'll be vying for space with half a million
Linaria

{1}
http://gardeners.s3.amazonaws.com/p/FLSLIN2049_3.jpg

[2]