Old 03-06-2016, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Low maintenance hand push mower?

I've a hand push mower, which I think is easy to use, provided I oil the
blades before and after. Otherwise it makes a fairly awful screeching
noise. My mum's tried it, and wants one, too. Trouble is, I can pretty
much guarantee that she's not going to oil it like I do, and even if she
did, there's a good chance she'll cut herself one day. It's probably a
long shot, but does anyone make one that perhaps has an oil reservoir,
or has magical blades that only need oiling occasionally? Or shall I
tell her to carry on with the electric one she already has?
Old 03-06-2016, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 3 Jun 2016 19:22:19 +0100, "Dan S. MacAbre"
wrote:

I've a hand push mower, which I think is easy to use, provided I oil the
blades before and after. Otherwise it makes a fairly awful screeching
noise. My mum's tried it, and wants one, too. Trouble is, I can pretty
much guarantee that she's not going to oil it like I do, and even if she
did, there's a good chance she'll cut herself one day. It's probably a
long shot, but does anyone make one that perhaps has an oil reservoir,
or has magical blades that only need oiling occasionally? Or shall I
tell her to carry on with the electric one she already has?

In what form is the oil you use? If it's dropwise, from a can, then I
can see she might have difficulty. You can get oil in spray-cans these
days, which might be easier for her to use. http://tinyurl.com/hlorzow

I do have some 3-in-1 in an aerosol, which I tried on it, but I didn't
think it was accurate enough to get it on all the cutting surfaces
without wasting a lot. It might be a good suggestion for mum, though.
I'll see if I can come up with a good technique for it. Perhaps I'm
trying to be too thorough? Especially since it soon comes off in the grass.