GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Mango (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/21286-mango.html)

@ttilla the pun 08-05-2003 02:20 PM

Mango

Is it possible to grow a mango from the seed of a mango fruit,would I need
greenhouse conditions & how do I go about doing it?

Rodney

Philippe Gautier 08-05-2003 02:32 PM

Mango

@ttilla the pun wrote:
Is it possible to grow a mango from the seed of a mango fruit,would I need
greenhouse conditions & how do I go about doing it?

Rodney

Yes, I've done that once a long time ago. Cleaned the stone (not sure
it's the right term), dry it a little bit then simply put it in a pot of
compost. The plant I got seemed quite happy in "normal" house
environnement. I found the plant rather nice, a bit like an avocado
tree, but it grew VERY slowly... At the end, I think it died while I was
on holiday.

Philippe

dommy 08-05-2003 04:02 PM

Philippe did you get any fruit?

Anthony Anson 08-05-2003 10:08 PM

Mango

The message
from "@ttilla the pun" contains these words:

Is it possible to grow a mango from the seed of a mango fruit,would I need
greenhouse conditions & how do I go about doing it?

Yes. Scrape off as much of the remaining stringy pulp as possible and
plant in peat or peat and sand. Keep moist and warm. Water with a little
fungicide from time to time (I used Murphy's for lemon pips, and they
rot very easily. They're just beginning to come up now).

You would need greenhous conditions - think the south of India. And you
would also need a conservatory like something at Kew - mango trees are
vast.

--
Tony

Visit my turntable workshop http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

JennyC 09-05-2003 06:08 AM

Mango

"@ttilla the pun" wrote in message
Is it possible to grow a mango from the seed of a mango fruit,would

I need
greenhouse conditions & how do I go about doing it?

Rodney

http://www.greendealer-exotic-seeds....goPapGuav.html
Jenny :~))

Anthony E Anson 09-05-2003 06:46 PM

Mango

The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:

http://www.greendealer-exotic-seeds....goPapGuav.html
Jenny :~))

I've some grenadillo seeds - they're easy. I've half a dozen coming up
ATM. I wish I liked grenadillos better...

I've also planted a tray of chinese gooseberry seeds, and these do grow
outside and, I believe, fruit. The seds aren't the freshest, and may
come to nothing. However, they aren't difficult to come by. Very
decorative but rather intrusive, yer chinese goosegog. Yo do need a male
and a female vine though to have any hope of getting fruit.

--
Tony
Replace solidi with dots to reply: tony/anson snailything zetnet/co/uk

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi

Nancie 09-05-2003 10:32 PM

Mango

you can grow fruit trees from stones and seeds but don't hope for any fruit
for many years - you are better off buying a grafted plant.

definitely need a greenhouse...also mango trees are enormous....think old
oak tree size...nice leaves too...