GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   No bees (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/212881-no-bees.html)

Jim_S 11-06-2016 02:53 PM

No bees

My hardy scented leaf cranesbill is usually alive with bees. I've not seen
a single one this year.
--
Jim S
Tyneside

Malcolm Race[_2_] 11-06-2016 05:55 PM

No bees

On 11/06/2016 14:53, Jim_S wrote:
My hardy scented leaf cranesbill is usually alive with bees. I've not seen
a single one this year.

I have a bhorder of mixed raspberries and blackberies. As usual at this
time of yearinsects are buzzing around the flowers. Most of them are
coloured as bumble bees but smaller.

Malcolm

kate harrison 13-06-2016 08:58 AM

No bees

On Saturday, June 11, 2016 at 2:53:24 PM UTC+1, Jim_S wrote:
My hardy scented leaf cranesbill is usually alive with bees. I've not seen
a single one this year.
--
Jim S
Tyneside

They will be around maybe visiting early morning before you rise.

Jim_S 14-06-2016 12:40 AM

No bees

On Mon, 13 Jun 2016 00:58:05 -0700 (PDT), kate harrison wrote:

On Saturday, June 11, 2016 at 2:53:24 PM UTC+1, Jim_S wrote:
My hardy scented leaf cranesbill is usually alive with bees. I've not seen
a single one this year.
--
Jim S
Tyneside

They will be around maybe visiting early morning before you rise.

Well they used to wait for me to rise. How inconsiderate.
--
Jim S

Dan S. MacAbre[_2_] 14-06-2016 09:45 AM

No bees

Jim_S wrote:
My hardy scented leaf cranesbill is usually alive with bees. I've not seen
a single one this year.

I've seen some on a Rosemary bush we have, but not many others.

Spider[_3_] 17-06-2016 02:53 PM

No bees

On 11/06/2016 14:53, Jim_S wrote:
My hardy scented leaf cranesbill is usually alive with bees. I've not seen
a single one this year.

My garden has been buzzing with bees so far this year, but I do plant to
encourage bees from late winter onwards. We have masses of the
white-tailed bumble-bee, but rather fewer of the red-tailed. I must
watch out for plants which attract the latter and get planting. Of
course, we have other bumbles and less hairy bees, as well as
hoverflies, but the white- and red- tailed bumbles are what we're seeing
at the moment.

Living on the side of a hill, I'm bound to say that most of my garden is
not very sheltered, so that is not the attraction. Perhaps you need to
plant more bee-friendly plants so you have a continued feast for them.
--
Spider
On high ground in SE London