GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tall lily (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/212930-tall-lily.html)

Andy Burns[_7_] 15-06-2016 09:52 PM

Tall lily

A neighbour has what seems to me like a very tall lily (growing fast, I
first thought it was a sunflower) it's got to approximately 8' high with
a cluster of about a dozen white trumpet shaped flowers about 5" long on
top.

I've googled for similar plants but they all seem to have slender
leaves, this one has large heart shaped (quite rough looking) leaves ...
any clues?

Andy Burns[_7_] 16-06-2016 08:57 AM

Tall lily

Chris Hogg wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

A neighbour has what seems to me like a very tall lily

Cardiocrinum giganteum. http://tinyurl.com/z9mv4pm

Yes that's it, thanks ... seems a lot of relatively ugly stalk and
leaves to get some impressive flowers a few feet over your head!

Jeff Layman[_2_] 16-06-2016 10:23 AM

Tall lily

On 16/06/16 08:57, Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Hogg wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

A neighbour has what seems to me like a very tall lily

Cardiocrinum giganteum. http://tinyurl.com/z9mv4pm

Yes that's it, thanks ... seems a lot of relatively ugly stalk and
leaves to get some impressive flowers a few feet over your head!

Then, of course, it dies after flowering, and you'll have to wait
several years for the offsets to reach flowering size. Still, it is
impressive when in flower.

--

Jeff

Andy Burns[_7_] 24-06-2016 12:15 PM

Tall lily

Jeff Layman wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Chris Hogg wrote:

Cardiocrinum giganteum.

a lot of relatively ugly stalk and leaves to get some impressive
flowers a few feet over your head!

it is impressive when in flower.

And most of the flowers dropped-off overnight, so impressive but short
lived.