Old 16-06-2016, 10:15 PM
Registered User

Location: Nottingham UK
Default New Magnolia Yellow rain arrived with spots what are they?

I ordered this Magnolia small tree online and it has arrived with spots on the leaves, I am a bit concerned at what it is. The seller has told me its a deciduous tree so it wont matter but I'm worried in case its an infection or something or it will come back regardless if I remove the leaves or indeed spread to anything else

Can anyone tell me what this could possibly be please, photos attached, Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
New Magnolia Yellow rain arrived with spots what are they?-20160610_140912-2-.jpg   New Magnolia Yellow rain arrived with spots what are they?-20160610_140918-2-.jpg
Old 23-06-2016, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/06/16 21:15, Butterfly wrote:
I ordered this Magnolia small tree online and it has arrived with spots
on the leaves, I am a bit concerned at what it is. The seller has told
me its a deciduous tree so it wont matter but I'm worried in case its an
infection or something or it will come back regardless if I remove the
leaves or indeed spread to anything else

Can anyone tell me what this could possibly be please, photos attached,
Thanks

|Filename: 20160610_140912 (2).jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16423|
|Filename: 20160610_140918 (2).jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16424|

Rainspots?

Seriously, it doesn't look like anything to worry about. It looks to me
the sort of damage associated with something crawling across a leaf bud
and maybe taking some nibbles from the outer bit of it, and collateral
damage occurring to the leaf coiled up inside.

Magnolias seem to have very few problems as far as fungal and bacterial
infections are concerned. Have a look he
http://plantsciences.utk.edu/pdf/Kno...lia93-2013.pdf

By the way, are you sure the name is "Yellow Rain"? I couldn't see that
name in a search for it (I was interested as I have "Yellow Lantern").

--

Jeff
Old 23-06-2016, 07:00 PM
Registered User

Location: Nottingham UK

Thanks for your replies,

They sent me a replacement anyway without needing to return the original one but the replacement arrived today and its much worse than the pictures above. Every leaf is damaged and the leaves are very pale but I just got it planted anyway and have to hope for the best.

The name is Magnolia denudata Yellow River I got mixed up, I already have a pink one cant remember the name which is about 26 years old so its big and beautiful, I thought a yellow one would be a nice addition