Old 19-06-2016, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plant ID

Hi,

Can anyone ID the plant with the white flowers in this picture? SHMBO is
worried it's something nasty she's heard about and before I get the job of
pulling it out I wanted to confirm what it is.......

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rnkcfiqla4...38.46.jpg?dl=0

Old 19-06-2016, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Endulini wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone ID the plant with the white flowers in this picture? SHMBO
is worried it's something nasty she's heard about and before I get
the job of pulling it out I wanted to confirm what it is.......

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rnkcfiqla4...38.46.jpg?dl=0

it's not giant hogweed if that's what you're worried about

Old 19-06-2016, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Endulini wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone ID the plant with the white flowers in this picture? SHMBO
is worried it's something nasty she's heard about and before I get
the job of pulling it out I wanted to confirm what it is.......

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rnkcfiqla4...38.46.jpg?dl=0

Ground elder, not toxic.

I'd wear gloves though if pulling them out.

Old 19-06-2016, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/06/2016 17:34, Phil L wrote:
Ground elder, not toxic.

I'd wear gloves though if pulling them out.

Why?

It was originally a food plant.

Andy
Old 19-06-2016, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Vir Campestris wrote:
On 19/06/2016 17:34, Phil L wrote:
Ground elder, not toxic.

I'd wear gloves though if pulling them out.

Why?

It was originally a food plant.

Some people do react to it, a bit. I am not absolutely sure that
it is ground elder, as there are other umbellifers with flowers
like that, but I agree that is the most likely.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 19-06-2016, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Vir Campestris wrote:
On 19/06/2016 17:34, Phil L wrote:
Ground elder, not toxic.

I'd wear gloves though if pulling them out.

Why?

It was originally a food plant.

I wear gloves when pulling weeds anyway, I tend to get 'the itches' on my
hands and wrists seemingly at random, I'm probably allergic to something but
don't know what.

You don't know what else is growing amongst it, grabbing handfuls here and
there is probably safe, until stinging nettles or thistles make an unwelcome
appearance by which time it's too late....stinging nettles leave an itchy
rash on my hands which stays around up to a week - i know others have much
less reaction to it, my skin must have worn paper thin after a lifetime of
laying paving slabs