Old 04-07-2016, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Collapsing Rogersia Pinnata

We bought this in the spring for a flower bed that's prone to winter
flooding - it's supposed to like it wet. It was doing quite nicely until
we had some summer flooding. Leaves were all nice and pert sticking out
of the water.
Then the water went. And the leaves collapsed.
The stalks seem to have broken just where they leave the tuber. No sign
of slug slime - but one of the bases looks a bit like slug damage,
something seems to have been eating into the top of the tuber. Any ideas?

Andy
Old 06-07-2016, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/07/2016 21:37, Vir Campestris wrote:
We bought this in the spring for a flower bed that's prone to winter
flooding - it's supposed to like it wet. It was doing quite nicely until
we had some summer flooding. Leaves were all nice and pert sticking out
of the water.
Then the water went. And the leaves collapsed.
The stalks seem to have broken just where they leave the tuber. No sign
of slug slime - but one of the bases looks a bit like slug damage,
something seems to have been eating into the top of the tuber. Any ideas?

Andy

Try digging around in the planting hole and examining the earth
carefully. You will be looking for the small creamy grubs of the Vine
Weevil. The same thing happened to my Rogersia earlier this year.
VW favour plants in pots but, if that pot is planted unchecked into the
ground, they will be happy to munch away on roots until the plant
collapses. Naturally, almost any slug, snail or woodlouse will gladly
graze on the resultant soft tissue, but that is secondary damage.

The Rogersia is a member of the Saxifragaceae family, so check any
Astilbe, Bergenia, Heuchera, Heucherella, Tiarella, Francoa et al that
you may have in pots or recently planted. If you also planted
wetland-loving Primulas in the same spot, keep an eye on those, too, as
VW also find them delicious. Because Cyclamen is also in the family
Primulaceae, watch out for damage there, also. Other plants I've lost
to VW are Geranium (hardy), Fuchsia.

--
Spider
On high ground in SE London

Old 15-07-2016, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/07/2016 14:01, Spider wrote:
Try digging around in the planting hole and examining the earth
carefully. You will be looking for the small creamy grubs of the Vine
Weevil. The same thing happened to my Rogersia earlier this year.

I'll have a dig. Though I suspect the ground was wet enough to drown
those b****s.

Thanks

Andy
--
(Just back from holiday)

sorrel seedlings collapsing Deborah P. United Kingdom 7 31-05-2004 06:19 PM
Collapsing lupins Sacha United Kingdom 7 31-08-2003 12:42 AM
Collapsing poppy? Paul D.Smith United Kingdom 5 17-06-2003 12:32 PM
Cold outdoor vanda culture (Was: Cym leaves collapsing) Geir Harris Hedemark Orchids 1 22-04-2003 11:32 PM
Cym leaves collapsing Liam Orchids 6 21-04-2003 10:20 PM