Old 14-07-2016, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default vitax q4

I've just bought a bag of this fertilizer from ebay but the bag it arrived
in is just a plain clear bag, no instructions at all, anyone any idea what
ratio I'm supposed to apply it? - it's for mixing with peat (yes peat!) for
fuchsia cuttings...seems a bit expensive for what it is, £5.49 for a kilo
bag

Old 15-07-2016, 06:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Phil L wrote:
I've just bought a bag of this fertilizer from ebay but the bag it arrived
in is just a plain clear bag, no instructions at all, anyone any idea what
ratio I'm supposed to apply it? - it's for mixing with peat (yes peat!) for
fuchsia cuttings...seems a bit expensive for what it is, ï½£5.49 for a kilo
bag

So how do you know it isn't coffee grounds or some similar industrial waste
being passed off?

Old 15-07-2016, 08:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Phil L" wrote

I've just bought a bag of this fertilizer from ebay but the bag it arrived
in is just a plain clear bag, no instructions at all, anyone any idea what
ratio I'm supposed to apply it? - it's for mixing with peat (yes peat!) for
fuchsia cuttings...seems a bit expensive for what it is, £5.49 for a kilo
bag

I have been looking for similar chicken waste fertilizer 6X (not the
pellets) and have looked on the net at prices which seem to be between £8.99
and £20.!! per 15Kg sack plus £3.99 delivery. Have looked in various local
places for it but walking through a GC yesterday (Squires at Milford) came
across what was left of a pallet of sacks at £8.99 each. Of course it did
stink out the car but no delivery charges so a good saving. Think you may
have paid over the odds.

I'll look to see the instructions later and post here. (both made by Vitax
now I understand)
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 15-07-2016, 08:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Phil L" wrote in message
I've just bought a bag of this fertilizer from ebay but the bag it arrived in is just a
plain clear bag, no instructions at all, anyone any idea what ratio I'm supposed to
apply it? - it's for mixing with peat (yes peat!) for fuchsia cuttings...seems a bit
expensive for what it is, £5.49 for a kilo bag

Back in the distant past, chrysanthemum growers used Vitax Q4 as the
fertiliser to add to their composts as it not only contained the three
balanced nutrients but a wide range of trace minerals. Then along came
fancy modern, council greenwaste compost muck and Q4 went out of
fashion. You don't say whether the peat that you have is just that or peat
compost, if just peat, then 2ozs. per bushel (50g. per 30 litres) would be
about right for fuchsia cuttings. This is always with the proviso that what
you have purchased is Q4 !!!

Phil

Old 15-07-2016, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

I've just bought a bag of this fertilizer from ebay but the bag it arrived
in is just a plain clear bag, no instructions at all, anyone any idea what
ratio I'm supposed to apply it? - it's for mixing with peat (yes peat!) for
fuchsia cuttings...

Ask Vitax

http://www.vitax.co.uk/contact/

seems a bit expensive for what it is, £5.49 for a kilo
bag

Any Vitax products I've seen are always heavily brand-labelled with
precise instructions.

It sounds as if someone is either repacking their product at a profit,
or abusing their valued brandname and reputation to sell a fake. Vitax
should be concerned about either.

You might show Vitax the source of that plain clear bag and if they
have the same suspicion I do, they might be so grateful to you, they'll
send you a complimentary bag of the real thing.

Janet.

Old 15-07-2016, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Phil L wrote:

Andy Burns quoted:

"We buy our products in bulk and break it down into smaller bags so
that it is affordable for our end customer."

Yeah, this happens a lot, I've no need for a 15 or 20 kg bag as it's just
something i want to try, so I know I've paid over the odds for a small
amount.

As long as you knew what you're getting ...

I'll go with the 50g per 30L of peat. Yes it is peat, Vitax
(coincidentally!) Irish Moss Peat.

I took cuttings in late April when the fuchsias started a growth spurt, 11
weeks later and they're about 3 inches tall, at this rate, they'll be about
6 inches high when the growing season's over

If the Hawk's head moth caterpillars don't chomp them first!

Old 15-07-2016, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Andy Burns wrote:
Phil L wrote:

Andy Burns quoted:

"We buy our products in bulk and break it down into smaller bags so
that it is affordable for our end customer."

Yeah, this happens a lot, I've no need for a 15 or 20 kg bag as it's
just something i want to try, so I know I've paid over the odds for
a small amount.

As long as you knew what you're getting ...

no idea what I'm getting, but the nursery that sold it to me has a high
feedback and quite a lot to lose by sending me sand in order to make a
fiver.

I'll go with the 50g per 30L of peat. Yes it is peat, Vitax
(coincidentally!) Irish Moss Peat.

I took cuttings in late April when the fuchsias started a growth
spurt, 11 weeks later and they're about 3 inches tall, at this rate,
they'll be about 6 inches high when the growing season's over

If the Hawk's head moth caterpillars don't chomp them first!

My mimulus tigrinis are decimated by a weird little caterpillar every year,
thankfully, they're so robust that they keep on flowering even when severely
infested. I'm trying to keep on top of them this year.