Old 19-07-2016, 01:38 PM
Registered User

Default Topsoil for a raised bed - whats best?

I need a 1 ton bag of this - its is expensive stuff I'm wondering what should get for my raised bed that I am looking to plant some shrubs into. With some research I have 3 options so far:

1. I've seen soil with a mushroom compost mix - this is £74 for a bulk bag delivered:

Buy Topsoil Manchester Topsoil Compost Cheshire Top soil --- Lymefield Garden Centre Store | Gardening Centre Supplies Shop, Hyde, Cheshire

2. Then there's another fairly local company (I'm in Stockport) that will deliver something similar for £69 - a 70% loam and 30% organic compost mix:

TURF MANCHESTER|TURF SALFORD|TURF STOCKPORT|TURF WORSLEY|TURF WALKDEN|TURF ALTRINCHAM|TOPSOIL|TOPSOIL ALTRINCHAM|TOPSOIL MANCHESTER|TOPSOIL STOCKPORT|COMPOST|GROWER|SUPPLIER|SUPPLIERS|BRAMHA LL|TIMPERLEY|LAWN TURF|BUY TURF|HYDE|OLDHAM|ROCHDALE|TRAFFOR

3. Or slightly cheaper at £66 delivered what is just standard topsoil:

Top Soil | North West Timber Treatments Ltd | NWTT

This one is just basic soil, I've already had a bag of this already and to my very untrained eye it looks totally fine but its from a timber and builders merchants and logic says to me that getting a compost mix soil would be better from one of the first 2 options above for a a tiny bit of extra cost. My wife and mother in law seem to think we should stick with the standard soil which doesn't make sense to me! Surely the compost based soil is likely to be better?

If anyone can advise what the consensus of opinion on this I would be very grateful.

thanks
Old 19-07-2016, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris Hogg wrote:

Hyde, Cheshire' (http://tinyurl.com/hcb8xhz)

(http://tinyurl.com/gttvcr3)

(http://www.nwtt.co.uk/top-soil)

This one is just basic soil, I've already had a bag of this already
and to my very untrained eye it looks totally fine but its from a
timber and builders merchants and logic says to me that getting a
compost mix soil would be better from one of the first 2 options
above for a a tiny bit of extra cost. My wife and mother in law seem
to think we should stick with the standard soil which doesn't make
sense to me! Surely the compost based soil is likely to be better?

If anyone can advise what the consensus of opinion on this I would be
very grateful.

thanks

To some extent your choice may be governed by what you intend to grow
in it. AIUI mushroom compost contains chalk or limestone chippings, so
will be alkaline and you won't be able to grow ericaceous plants
successfully, plants such as rhododendrons, camellias and most types
of heather. But you may not want to anyway. See
http://tinyurl.com/hhnb6zn

Like you, I'd go for the second one; some organic matter in the soil
will provide nourishment, will help retain moisture in dry weather,
allow better root growth, will give the soil a better crumb structure
and help keep it open and aerated.

I doubt there's any guarantee that the next bag of plain topsoil will
be from the same source or anything like the first that you had.

The price difference between the three choices is trivial.

I've spread 80 tonnes of topsoil over two days, at the back of two detatched
houses. It was screened, no stones or roots etc, plenty of organic material
but not one worm.
£19 a tonne, delivered in 20t loads

Old 20-07-2016, 11:42 AM
Registered User

Thanks Chris for your post - will go for the 2nd option!

Phil - the good news, I think, is that your topsoil was very cheap (presumably because you bought in bulk?). The bad news, I guess your back is knackered?
Old 20-07-2016, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

beastman wrote:
Thanks Chris for your post - will go for the 2nd option!

Phil - the good news, I think, is that your topsoil was very cheap
(presumably because you bought in bulk?). The bad news, I guess your
back is knackered?

Not really, it's what i do.

Had another 20t delivered today but we only needed about 8.

I erected a fence this afternoon, 8 X 9ft conc posts, 7 X concrete panels
and 7X 5ft timber panels

It's only 6ft high (5ft timber and 1ft of conc) but the posts are going
through a foot and a bit of soft topsoil we've just laid, so we needed 18in
into the subsoil.

Sorry, I can't let you take the spare topsoil, I'll need it on the next
garden next week...225m2 of turf to lay tomorrow.

I wouldn't use this topsoil for anything special like beds or suchlikes,
it's OK under meadow turf. Some of the stuff from builders merchants
(especially the place you mentioned in St Helens NWTT) is likely to be
recycled, we can get this delivered in bulk for less than a tenner a tonne,
but it's mostly ground up bricks, gravel and other contaminants and a small
amount of actual soil. Not good for most things but if you're building a
motorway and need a few thousand tonnes to prop up grass and shrubs, it's
perfect.

Old 28-07-2017, 05:50 PM
Registered User

I highly recommend topsoil (I used it for levelling the yard) from that company. Topsoil Manchester | Cheshire