GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Houseplants causing damp! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/213225-houseplants-causing-damp.html)

Chris[_19_] 26-07-2016 09:38 PM

Houseplants causing damp!

On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 21:30:43 +0100, Vir Campestris wrote:

That link is a bit of a mouthful. You can shorten amazon links like
this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RUDHZXU

THanks for that.

And it's a water plant? In a house???

AFAIK (but I'm NO expert!) there's nothing necessarily wrong with that.
HOWEVER, I've been doing a bit more research and it seems this species
has a terrifically high water demand, which implies it must belch loads
of water vapour out into the atmosphere. I'm guessing therefore that
there will not be an alternative plant hygroscopic enough to be able to
absorb all that vapour. :(
Surely to god they can be put outside and still survive perfectly happily
- at this time of the year at any rate??

David Hill 26-07-2016 10:57 PM

Houseplants causing damp!

On 26/07/2016 21:38, Chris wrote:
On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 21:30:43 +0100, Vir Campestris wrote:

That link is a bit of a mouthful. You can shorten amazon links like
this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RUDHZXU

THanks for that.

And it's a water plant? In a house???

AFAIK (but I'm NO expert!) there's nothing necessarily wrong with that.
HOWEVER, I've been doing a bit more research and it seems this species
has a terrifically high water demand, which implies it must belch loads
of water vapour out into the atmosphere. I'm guessing therefore that
there will not be an alternative plant hygroscopic enough to be able to
absorb all that vapour. :(
Surely to god they can be put outside and still survive perfectly happily
- at this time of the year at any rate??

How the hell anyone can say Cyperus papyrus looks like cannabis I don't
know Should have gone to Specsavers.
Cyperus is a marsh plant in the wild but can be grown without standing
in water all the time, it will grow outside in a sheltered spot over the
summer, I've seen it growing around 100 yds from the sea in Tunisia well
rooted into sand.
Also there is a dwarf form Cyperus papyrus 'Nanus
Next thing we know people will be keeping tropical fish in tanks of
water in their houses, but then that would raise the humidity.
They would have to be mad.

Stewart Robert Hinsley 27-07-2016 05:35 PM

Houseplants causing damp!

On 26/07/2016 22:57, David Hill wrote:

How the hell anyone can say Cyperus papyrus looks like cannabis I don't
know Should have gone to Specsavers.

You have to remember that not everybody can tell plants apart on any but
the most superficial level - I once had club moss pointed out to me as
juniper.

--
SRH