GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Proper name (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/213226-proper-name.html)

Andy Burns[_7_] 23-07-2016 06:52 PM

Proper name

My nan and mum used to have a plant which I think they called roof
cabbage or maybe chimney cabbage based on where it grew, ìt grew as a
dense mound about the size of a football, I don't know if this is just a
"country name", google image search struggles to find what it really is,
anyone know?

indigo 23-07-2016 08:05 PM

Proper name

On 23/07/2016 18:52, Andy Burns wrote:
My nan and mum used to have a plant which I think they called roof
cabbage or maybe chimney cabbage based on where it grew, ìt grew as a
dense mound about the size of a football, I don't know if this is just a
"country name", google image search struggles to find what it really is,
anyone know?

Could it have been a Sempervivum? A colony can form a sort of mounded
humpty shape. It was a country tradition to grow these "house leeks" on
tiled roofs to ward of bad luck and lightning strikes. There were
several clumps of these on an old pan-tiled shed roof at the cottage
next door to where my in-laws lived.

Andy Burns[_7_] 23-07-2016 10:29 PM

Proper name

Chris Hogg wrote:

Do you mean 'houseleek' i.e. Sempervivum?

Quite likely, cabbage didn't sound entirely right, but I couldn't think
what other veg it might be ...

http://tinyurl.com/zlr34wa

Yes that's it thanks (and to Indigo).