Old 01-08-2016, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default pond weed problems -advice.

Hi,

I have tried googling the internet without much real help.
Long story (as short as possible). But if you cannot be bothered, jump to the end on (g).

a) I have a small pond. Its been in the garden before my time - 20 odd years maybe? Its a pre formed pond around 10ft by 5ft?

b) it used to be home to a colony of newts and many frogs ( I counted 15 at its height).

c) around five years ago, frogs seemed to disappear - just like that ,no apparent reason.

d) I cleaned pond and found I still had newts, so retained it. I have frogs in the garden but none in the pond.

e) I put in a marginal buttercup a couple of years ago. There is a small water hawthorn in there (or was) and I bunged a bunch of that floating oxygenator in each year. Thats all I did.

f) from nowhere this last year, a plant has emerged which I have googled and identified as "parrot feather" - its some ind of swamp weed it seems. Its covered the pond in a thick mat over nearly all the water. I did not buy this plant. I am clueless as to how it got there, hence itstaken me so long to realise I had an invader.

I have taken it out this morning (pulled it out wholesale - and lost all my little water hawthorn etc. with it).

f) I was going to get rid of the pond as I had clearly killed it somehow although I did not try, and given the matted weed I just thought all was dead.. However, asI was about to stick a hole in it and let it drain, a frog popped up. So clearly life is still there.

g) So, what can I do now to help Mr Frog (and any froggie friends and newts - I assume they are there still). I will not evict them. The pond is half full of dirty water. Its dark , muddy and murky and there are no plants in it anymore ( no cover, no food etc.)

(I have left the matted weed out of the pond but beside it so any creepy crawlies can get back if they can ..... how can I dispose of said weed once I have allowed the life to move out?)

Thanks for reading. Advice would be welcome.

I am in Cornwall by the way in case that makes a difference to pond life or advice.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/08/2016 11:06, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 1 Aug 2016 01:58:42 -0700 (PDT), sweetheart
wrote:
Hi,

big snip

Thanks for reading. Advice would be welcome.

I am in Cornwall by the way in case that makes a difference to pond life or advice.

Hi Sweetheart,

I too have a pond, a bit bigger than yours, and am also in Cornwall,
far west.

snip

In addition to Chris's advice, can I add that frogs don't always lurk in
ponds, or even especially close to one, so if you've any still around
they may be hiding elsewhere on your plot at the moment.

I don't have a pond yet, but most of the year still find frogs and
sometimes toads hiding in dark, dampish corners or under plant foliage
around the garden. They also get among plant pots grouped on the patio
that are regularly watered. Hopefully they're feasting on any slugs and
snails that would otherwise attack the Hostas.

I expect these frogs and toads all bunk off to ponds in nearby gardens
in spring at spawning time, but there are always umpteen of varying
sizes that need rescuing at the end of summer when we're mowing our
rough wild flower/grass area (hubby mows; I'm the amphibian spotter and
wrangler). They seem to like it down among the roots of the grasses and
other meadow flowers.

Old 01-08-2016, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Marginal buttercup can be invasive and water hawthorn has taken over some of
the lake edges in the Lake District although personally it's not a real
problem. Although I have never had a wildlife pond I would see how deep the
mud is on the bottom first. Ponds by their very nature try to fill
themselves in. If it's a significant proportion of the depth then you need
to remove some, it's good manure but very strong, be careful with it and
make sure you don't throw out those newts etc. Then top up with tap water.
I would then invest in a good Water Lily or two ( they do need sun to
flower) and that will help to remove some of the nutrients that build up and
shade the pond in summer to help it stay clear and compete against any
Parrots Feather that you may have left. Try to check and remove any PF you
see growing to the Council Tip or your own compost heap, it's illegal to let
in infest another waterway.
Having to put more oxygenating plants in every year is strange as they
usually take over once introduced, no fish in the pond? Could be the water
is almost toxic with waste, too rich.

Buy a decent named water lily, it's so worth it....but get one for your
depth of pond..... if you go to a local place and they just have them marked
red, white and yellow lilies walk away. You wouldn't buy a rose like that.

http://www.lilieswatergardens.co.uk/...ies-c-114.html (They do a few
shows so might be at one near you)
http://latour-marliac.com/en/12-hardy-water-lilies ( A pilgrimage to
this French water lily nursery is a must for anyone interested in hardy
water lilies and their history, it's where they were invented)

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 01-08-2016, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/08/2016 14:10, Indigo wrote:
On 01/08/2016 11:06, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 1 Aug 2016 01:58:42 -0700 (PDT), sweetheart
wrote:
Hi,

big snip

[...]

As above, at this time of year a lot of Toads and frogs are nowhere near
your pond, as Chris also said things have good and bad years, for me
this has been a poor year for Toads and Frogs and a good year for Newts,
Newts will eat toad and from tadpoles as will their own tadpoles, and
lot get taken by dragonfly lavae and even the black birds have been
known to get in on the act!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 02-08-2016, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thank you for the replies. The rain yesterday and today seems to have helped clear the water. If it continues today, I may well have a full pond. (Every cloud has a silver lining they say).

I will give it another clean and see if it will make it as a wild life pond. I will get some native water plants and a small Water Lilly.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/08/2016 09:25, sweetheart wrote:

Thank you for the replies. The rain yesterday and today seems to have helped clear the water. If it continues today, I may well have a full pond. (Every cloud has a silver lining they say).

I will give it another clean and see if it will make it as a wild life pond. I will get some native water plants and a small Water Lilly.

--
Spider
On high ground in SE London
Old 03-08-2016, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/08/2016 14:13, Spider wrote:
On 02/08/2016 09:25, sweetheart wrote:

Thank you for the replies. The rain yesterday and today seems to have
helped clear the water. If it continues today, I may well have a full
pond. (Every cloud has a silver lining they say).

I will give it another clean and see if it will make it as a wild life
pond. I will get some native water plants and a small Water Lilly.

Sorry about that - finger trouble, of course!

You mention newts in your pond, and I believe they may be protected by
law; certainly the Great Crested Newt is. Do be careful how you alter
your pond setting. You wouldn't want to drive the newts away,
especially since they dine on slugs and snails, the gardener's enemy.

--
Spider
On high ground in SE London
Old 03-08-2016, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/08/2016 14:53, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 3 Aug 2016 14:19:56 +0100, Spider wrote:

On 03/08/2016 14:13, Spider wrote:
On 02/08/2016 09:25, sweetheart wrote:

Thank you for the replies. The rain yesterday and today seems to have
helped clear the water. If it continues today, I may well have a full
pond. (Every cloud has a silver lining they say).

I will give it another clean and see if it will make it as a wild life
pond. I will get some native water plants and a small Water Lilly.

Sorry about that - finger trouble, of course!

Multiple legs problem? Right hand legs don't know what the left hand legs are
doing :-)

That's just the sort of thing!:~) Always in a tangle. Always in a spin.

Old 05-08-2016, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/08/2016 10:55, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 3 Aug 2016 17:36:37 +0100, Spider wrote:

On 03/08/2016 14:53, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 3 Aug 2016 14:19:56 +0100, Spider wrote:

On 03/08/2016 14:13, Spider wrote:
On 02/08/2016 09:25, sweetheart wrote:

Thank you for the replies. The rain yesterday and today seems to have
helped clear the water. If it continues today, I may well have a full
pond. (Every cloud has a silver lining they say).

I will give it another clean and see if it will make it as a wild life
pond. I will get some native water plants and a small Water Lilly.

Sorry about that - finger trouble, of course!

Multiple legs problem? Right hand legs don't know what the left hand legs are
doing :-)

That's just the sort of thing!:~) Always in a tangle. Always in a spin.

A web of intrigue.

I couldn't have put it better :~).

--
Spider