GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What's the proper term for this? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/213328-whats-proper-term.html)

Julian Barnes 06-08-2016 04:16 PM

What's the proper term for this?

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what the proper horticultural term is for the cluster
of flowers or buds you see at the top section of a stem we're beginning
to see with certain plants in the hedgerows about now?

THanks.

Gary Woods 06-08-2016 04:43 PM

Julian Barnes wrote:

Can anyone tell me what the proper horticultural term is for the cluster
of flowers or buds

Umbril?

Applies to Queen Anne's Lace and Dill at least.

Google for pics to see it that's what you're seeing.

Jeff Layman[_2_] 06-08-2016 09:32 PM

On 06/08/16 16:16, Julian Barnes wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone tell me what the proper horticultural term is for the cluster
of flowers or buds you see at the top section of a stem we're beginning
to see with certain plants in the hedgerows about now?

THanks.

Got a spare hour or two?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflorescence
http://waynesword.palomar.edu/terminf1.htm