GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Dahlia's (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/213511-dahlias.html)

Roger Tonkin[_2_] 01-09-2016 09:43 AM

Dahlia's

Anticipating my house move, I planted a couple of my dahlia
tubers in large pots.

They seem to have grown fine, but there are no flowers on them!
There seems to be a small bud at the tip of each shoot, which
has not done anything.

I know they have been a bit mistreated during the move,
holidays etc, with some dry periods, and at one stage being
left standing in water for a week.

Whist I'm not too concerned about the lack of flowers, I am
hoping the tubers will survive for next year and was wondering
if/what I could do to help them?

--
Roger T

Now 500 ft up in Mid-Wales

Yellow[_3_] 01-09-2016 05:53 PM

Dahlia's

In article ,
says...

Anticipating my house move, I planted a couple of my dahlia
tubers in large pots.

They seem to have grown fine, but there are no flowers on them!
There seems to be a small bud at the tip of each shoot, which
has not done anything.

I know they have been a bit mistreated during the move,
holidays etc, with some dry periods, and at one stage being
left standing in water for a week.

Whist I'm not too concerned about the lack of flowers, I am
hoping the tubers will survive for next year and was wondering
if/what I could do to help them?

Sunshine and water.

My dahlias have been quite late flowering this year but every time we
have a few days of really sunny weather I follow it up with a good
soaking and I am rewarded with a fresh batch of flowers.

I grow mine from seed, fresh each year, but I doubt that makes much
difference.