Old 01-09-2016, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bizarre field crop

I passed a field (between Fowlmere and Triplow, for locals) that was
planted with a mixture of what I think was maize, flax, buckwheat and
Phacelia. The buckwheat and Phacelia were in flower, the flax would
be in a week (given the current weather), and the maize was doing
nothing much and was the same height as the others. What on EARTH
was this planted for?

It was a fairly large, unfenced field, is not a pheasant-shooting area,
is not an area where silage is important, and there were no hives
(pretty obviously, given the maize).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/09/2016 20:38, Nick Maclaren wrote:
I passed a field (between Fowlmere and Triplow, for locals) that was
planted with a mixture of what I think was maize, flax, buckwheat and
Phacelia. The buckwheat and Phacelia were in flower, the flax would
be in a week (given the current weather), and the maize was doing
nothing much and was the same height as the others. What on EARTH
was this planted for?

It was a fairly large, unfenced field, is not a pheasant-shooting area,
is not an area where silage is important, and there were no hives
(pretty obviously, given the maize).

Curious. We passed a field of flax last weekend near Hundon. It was
seeded, dying back, and looked pretty well ready to harvest.

And that's only 25 miles or so!

Andy

Old 02-09-2016, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:

I passed a field (between Fowlmere and Triplow, for locals) that was
planted with a mixture of what I think was maize, flax, buckwheat and
Phacelia. The buckwheat and Phacelia were in flower, the flax would
be in a week (given the current weather), and the maize was doing
nothing much and was the same height as the others. What on EARTH
was this planted for?

It was a fairly large, unfenced field, is not a pheasant-shooting area,
is not an area where silage is important, and there were no hives
(pretty obviously, given the maize).

Green manure, AKA cover crop. To be ploughed in, later in the year.
That would explain the buckwheat, flax and phacelia. Not sure about
the maize.

I thought of that, but it doesn't really fit. The plants are more
the density of a crop, far larger and more mature than green manure
is normally let get to, and it's not a common practice around here.
Still, it is the only thing that makes sense, as you imply.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote

Chris Hog wrote

[...]

May it be something to do with the RSPB, they have a place at Fowlmere.
Might be worth a phone call to check.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
BobHobden wrote:

[...]

Ah! THAT makes sense. Especially if what looked like maize was
actually millet. Clearly they had sown with birdseed :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 02 Sep 2016 18:10:18 +0000, Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
BobHobden wrote:

[...]

Maybe they also intend to harvest it *as* birdseed?

Just a wild thought.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Ermin Trude wrote:

May it be something to do with the RSPB, they have a place at Fowlmere.
Might be worth a phone call to check.

Ah! THAT makes sense. Especially if what looked like maize was
actually millet. Clearly they had sown with birdseed :-)

Maybe they also intend to harvest it *as* birdseed?

Just a wild thought.

I don't think so, both because the plants are at different stages
of development and because even the earlier ones probably won't
ripen seed before the dark and wet starts. Planting for winter
feed for birds is more likely.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote

BobHobden wrote:

[...]

It's not this place is it...

http://www.rspb.org.uk/forprofession...ming/hopefarm/

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 03-09-2016, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
BobHobden wrote:

It's not this place is it...

http://www.rspb.org.uk/forprofession...ming/hopefarm/

No. Sorry.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

BIZARRE - RED CRYPT MELTED over night after two years of growth Beruka Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 17-07-2003 08:45 PM
OT - bizarre deer behavior Laura Van Sant North Carolina 6 17-07-2003 02:02 PM
Really bizarre dave weil Roses 8 06-06-2003 06:08 PM
BIZARRE - RED CRYPT MELTED over night after two years of growth Beruka Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 11-05-2003 10:45 PM
EU sees marked decrease in GM crop field trials Torsten Brinch sci.agriculture 0 19-04-2003 11:20 PM