Old 02-09-2016, 06:34 AM
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default how do I get rid of this?!

Hello everyone, I'm new here and I'm a very inexperienced gardener so apologies!

There was a little tree (I think) growing right outside of my kitchen window attracting all sorts of flies and creepy crawlies so earlier, I cut it down. Could anyone tell me anything about the tree or about how best to get rid of the stump of it?

I'm not sure if I'm posting this correctly but here are some pictures: https://twitter.com/kellyluxe/status/771565449205067776

Thank you!
Old 02-09-2016, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Hogg" wrote

Kellyluxe
wrote:

Hello everyone, I'm new here and I'm a very inexperienced gardener so
apologies!

There was a little tree (I think) growing right outside of my kitchen
window attracting all sorts of flies and creepy crawlies so earlier, I
cut it down. Could anyone tell me anything about the tree or about how
best to get rid of the stump of it?

I'm not sure if I'm posting this correctly but here are some pictures:
http://tinyurl.com/he26sw8

Thank you!

The stuff you cut off looks like Sycamore. They pop up in all sorts of
places, growing from those little helicopter seeds that twirl their
way down from nearby trees and land anywhere. I've seen it described
as a weed tree. You did right to cut it down. But the stump will shoot
if you don't dig it out. Dig down several inches with a spade and cut
as many roots as you can, then lever out the stump.

The other stuff looks like bamboo. Probably not a good idea to have it
that close to the house, especially if that's a down pipe from a
gutter that I see behind it. It's roots will get into the drain and
block it, so best dug out or killed, as well, IMO.

Agree with Chris. they both need getting rid of as both are in the wrong
place. I would drill some large holes in the tree stump and pour in some SBK
Brush Killer, that will kill off the tree. it will then rot off over the
next few years. The bamboo is more difficult, a right pain to dig out IME
but glyphosate won't work on brown stuff, only green leaves.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:42 PM
Registered User

Location: South Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHobden View Post
"Chris Hogg" wrote

Kellyluxe
wrote:

[...]

Thank you both!