Old 04-09-2016, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Default Treating Wood in Garden

I have various wooden items in my garden: raised beds, supports for runner
beans, netting frames etc.
The wood I have used was all treated (tanalised?).
What treatment would people suggest for not just painting the wood, but soaking
in and protecting it from rotting? Named product recommendations appreciated.
Cheers.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/2016 12:53, Lomas wrote:

I have various wooden items in my garden: raised beds, supports for runner
beans, netting frames etc.
The wood I have used was all treated (tanalised?).
What treatment would people suggest for not just painting the wood, but soaking
in and protecting it from rotting? Named product recommendations appreciated.
Cheers.

If you want a decorative finish ... then Sadolin Classic is about as
good as it gets unless you pay for dome very expensive Sikkens products.

For decking - use decking oil.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:49 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Derek wrote:
On Tue, 6 Sep 2016 00:15:55 +0100 (GMT+01:00), jim k wrote:

Lomas Wrote in message:
What treatment would people suggest for not just painting the wood, but soaking
in and protecting it from rotting? Named product recommendations appreciated

Creosote

Creosote is deadly to cats and dogs, proberbly best to stick with some
of the new treatments, and not the 'old' tin in the back of the shed.

Never seemed to do ours any harm.

Tim

--
Trolls AND TROLL FEEDERS all go in my kill file
Old 06-09-2016, 12:30 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 6 Sep 2016 06:49:45 -0000 (UTC), Tim+
wrote:

Creosote

Creosote is deadly to cats and dogs, proberbly best to stick with some
of the new treatments, and not the 'old' tin in the back of the shed.

Never seemed to do ours any harm.

How many coats did you put on them?

G.Harman
Old 06-09-2016, 01:06 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Creosote

Creosote is deadly to cats and dogs, proberbly best to stick with some
of the new treatments, and not the 'old' tin in the back of the shed.

Never seemed to do ours any harm.

How many coats did you put on them?

Or did you feed it to them? Yes. That myth is crap, and seems to
have been invented to encourage the public to accept the creosote
ban. Like so many things, it is mildly carcinogenic, but is really
only a danger to people who work with it all the time - so the
solution adopted was to ban it for private use. The same was done
for benomyl and many other things.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/biocides/copr/creosote.htm

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 06-09-2016, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 06/09/2016 00:15, jim wrote:
Lomas Wrote in message:

I have various wooden items in my garden: raised beds, supports for runner
beans, netting frames etc.
The wood I have used was all treated (tanalised?).
What treatment would people suggest for not just painting the wood, but soaking
in and protecting it from rotting? Named product recommendations appreciated.
Cheers.

Creosote

Not on sale to public anymore
Old 06-09-2016, 06:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 06/09/2016 13:06, Nick Maclaren wrote:
wrote:

Creosote

Creosote is deadly to cats and dogs, proberbly best to stick with some
of the new treatments, and not the 'old' tin in the back of the shed.

Never seemed to do ours any harm.

How many coats did you put on them?

Or did you feed it to them? Yes. That myth is crap, and seems to
have been invented to encourage the public to accept the creosote
ban. Like so many things, it is mildly carcinogenic, but is really
only a danger to people who work with it all the time - so the
solution adopted was to ban it for private use. The same was done
for benomyl and many other things.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/biocides/copr/creosote.htm

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

There are also far better products to use than creosote .. it was very
messy to apply and would happily stain clothes months later.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:33 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

I used it for the garage loft timbers, the smell wore off after
about 10 years! It also drifted through the house. We told the visitors
it was down to the coal tar soap we used!
Old 07-09-2016, 11:14 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 6 Sep 2016 12:06:56 -0000 (UTC), (Nick
Maclaren) wrote:

Creosote is deadly to cats and dogs, proberbly best to stick with some
of the new treatments, and not the 'old' tin in the back of the shed.

That myth is crap, and seems to
have been invented to encourage the public to accept the creosote
ban. Like so many things, it is mildly carcinogenic, but is really
only a danger to people who work with it all the time - so the
solution adopted was to ban it for private use. The same was done
for benomyl and many other things.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/biocides/copr/creosote.htm
Nick Maclaren.

My post was concerning cats and dogs, and not humans
While the avage man in the street would not go round licking freshley
painted fencing, animals will get into contact with it.
I speak from experince, as one of my cats came in frothing at the
mouth, smell of cresote on her fur, we gather she had walked/rubbed on
a freshley treated fence, and then 'TRIED TO LICK IT OFF'

Hence a very quick trip to the vets, who gave her a purge, and then
said the only thing to do was to wash her, and keep on washing, untill
all the trace of smell was removed, but pets have died. Two hours in
the kitchen sink, and the only way we could tell if the cresote had
been removed from her paws, was to suck on her paws to see if we could
taste any residude.

Thankfully our cat survived.
Old 13-09-2016, 09:42 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek[_6_] View Post
Maclaren) wrote:

Creosote is deadly to cats and dogs, proberbly best to stick with some
of the new treatments, and not the 'old' tin in the back of the shed.

That myth is crap, and seems to
have been invented to encourage the public to accept the creosote
ban. Like so many things, it is mildly carcinogenic, but is really
only a danger to people who work with it all the time - so the
solution adopted was to ban it for private use. The same was done
for benomyl and many other things.

Creosote/coal tar creosote wood preservatives - Biocides - HSE
Nick Maclaren.

My post was concerning cats and dogs, and not humans
While the avage man in the street would not go round licking freshley
painted fencing, animals will get into contact with it.
I speak from experince, as one of my cats came in frothing at the
mouth, smell of cresote on her fur, we gather she had walked/rubbed on
a freshley treated fence, and then 'TRIED TO LICK IT OFF'

Hence a very quick trip to the vets, who gave her a purge, and then
said the only thing to do was to wash her, and keep on washing, untill
all the trace of smell was removed, but pets have died. Two hours in
the kitchen sink, and the only way we could tell if the cresote had
been removed from her paws, was to suck on her paws to see if we could
taste any residude.

Thankfully our cat survived.
Creosote was banned some time ago, but a produce called creocote is available. It smalls as bad, but certainly soaks into the wood very well. l live in the country and out local farm goods supplier stocks it. Can't say that l have seen any in garden centres or D.I.Y. shops, but then l have not had any reason to look for it.

Old 14-09-2016, 06:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/09/2016 21:42, Bigal wrote:
'Derek[_6_ Wrote:
;1022210']On Tue, 6 Sep 2016 12:06:56 -0000 (UTC),
(Nick

---
-

(
http://tinyurl.com/h4mp9r3)
[...]

It was evil stuff. Last lot I used you would need to close your windows
100 yards down the road, and it lingered all night.
IME the use of softwood in lengthways contact with soil is the stuff of
tv/makeover.

---