GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   1mm galvanized wire suitable for training espalier-styled fruit trees? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/213577-1mm-galvanized-wire-suitable-training-espalier-styled-fruit-trees.html)

[email protected] 11-09-2016 07:04 PM

1mm galvanized wire suitable for training espalier-styled fruit trees?

Hi,
I'm starting my first attempt at training fruit trees on a long wall, espalier style. Is 1mm galvanized wire suitable for the training wires? I'm guessing that galvanized wire probably lasts longer than non-galvanized, plastic coated wire...

Many thanks,
Al

Gary Woods 11-09-2016 07:15 PM

wrote:

Is 1mm galvanized wire suitable for the training wires? I'm guessing that galvanized wire probably lasts longer than non-galvanized, plastic coated wire...

I wouldn't bet on that, and I'm not sure of the diameter though it's in the
neighborhood: Electric fence wire is quite durable and cheap in spools
that would probably do a forest of espalier trees.

Nick Maclaren[_5_] 11-09-2016 08:33 PM

1mm galvanized wire suitable for training espalier-styled fruit trees?

In article ,
wrote:
Hi,
I'm starting my first attempt at training fruit trees on a long wall,
espalier style. Is 1mm galvanized wire suitable for the training wires?
I'm guessing that galvanized wire probably lasts longer than
non-galvanized, plastic coated wire...

The last is debatable, but no. You really want 2-2.5mm, but 1.6mm
will last quite a long time.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Martin Brown 13-09-2016 06:51 PM

1mm galvanized wire suitable for training espalier-styled fruittrees?

On 11/09/2016 20:33, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
Hi,
I'm starting my first attempt at training fruit trees on a long wall,
espalier style. Is 1mm galvanized wire suitable for the training wires?
I'm guessing that galvanized wire probably lasts longer than
non-galvanized, plastic coated wire...

The last is debatable, but no. You really want 2-2.5mm, but 1.6mm
will last quite a long time.

I have not noticed plastic covered or galvanised degrading much over 20+
years but I agree 2mm wire is a minimum for training fruit trees.

Tension adjusters are invaluable. It invariably sags a bit with time.

Regards,
Martin Brown