Old 12-09-2016, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Busy Lizzies - why?

Why do some busy lizzies suddenly die at this time of year and others
nearby don't?
--
Jim S
Old 12-09-2016, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/09/2016 11:07, Jim S wrote:
Why do some busy lizzies suddenly die at this time of year and others
nearby don't?

What sort are they and where are you?
Old 12-09-2016, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/09/2016 11:07, Jim S wrote:
Why do some busy lizzies suddenly die at this time of year and others
nearby don't?

Outdoors frost pockets or it could be impatiens downy mildew (which
decimated the stock of a local nursery a few years back).

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=205

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 13-09-2016, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 20:20:01 +0100, David Hill wrote:

On 12/09/2016 11:07, Jim S wrote:
Why do some busy lizzies suddenly die at this time of year and others
nearby don't?

What sort are they and where are you?

The usual sort that had the problem years back.
I see no visible mildew.
My friend two streets away has hanging baskets either side of the front
door and one has 'flopped' and the other is fine.
No frost here yet (Tyneside)
My one at the East wall of the house has flopped and those at the West side
haven't.
--
Jim S
Old 13-09-2016, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/09/2016 11:07, Jim S wrote:
Why do some busy lizzies suddenly die at this time of year and others
nearby don't?

What sort are they and where are you?

The usual sort that had the problem years back.
I see no visible mildew.
My friend two streets away has hanging baskets either side of the front
door and one has 'flopped' and the other is fine.
No frost here yet (Tyneside)
My one at the East wall of the house has flopped and those at the West side
haven't.

I wonder if you (or the plants) have vine wevil

Old 13-09-2016, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 11:07:54 +0100, Jim S wrote:

Why do some busy lizzies suddenly die at this time of year and others
nearby don't?

Hello,

I live in Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA. Not sure this relates to your
situation or not. In the Southwest we have to manage micro-climates. This
spot is good for our plant, and this spot two feet away is too hot, too
little sun, too dry, etc. Maybe this is what is happening?

Old 15-09-2016, 08:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/09/2016 21:42, Martin Brown wrote:
On 12/09/2016 11:07, Jim S wrote:
Why do some busy lizzies suddenly die at this time of year and others
nearby don't?

Outdoors frost pockets or it could be impatiens downy mildew (which
decimated the stock of a local nursery a few years back).

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=205

Since writing this I notice that 2/3 of my busy lizzie plants have very
suddenly expired. Transmission of plant diseases by Usenet posting???

(they didn't come from the nursery that had the problem either)

Given their position I can rule out frost pockets so I guess it must be
some disease of busy lizzies that takes hold in September.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 15-09-2016, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/09/2016 11:07, Jim S wrote:
Why do some busy lizzies suddenly die at this time of year and others
nearby don't?

Outdoors frost pockets or it could be impatiens downy mildew (which
decimated the stock of a local nursery a few years back).

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=205

Since writing this I notice that 2/3 of my busy lizzie plants have very
suddenly expired. Transmission of plant diseases by Usenet posting???

(they didn't come from the nursery that had the problem either)

Given their position I can rule out frost pockets so I guess it must be
some disease of busy lizzies that takes hold in September.

Phew. I thought it was me :-)
--
Jim S

Will Busy Lizzies survive indoors? gardening_nut Gardening 4 11-09-2010 12:09 PM
busy lizzies sugar1 Gardening 2 08-05-2008 09:04 PM
Advice please on yellowing Busy Lizzies? Bergamot United Kingdom 2 21-06-2007 07:05 PM
Busy Lizzies - couple of questions maxman United Kingdom 7 18-10-2005 10:17 PM
Best balcony pelargonium & bizzie lizzies Victoria Clare United Kingdom 3 31-10-2003 11:03 AM