Old 20-09-2016, 06:04 PM
SJP SJP is offline
Registered User

Default Managing thick grass in overgrown orchard

Hello,

I’ve recently taken on the management of a somewhat overgrown 1.5 acre orchard and I’m struggling to keep the thick hill-grass, docks, nettles and thistles under control. I’ve used a mixture of a medium-powered strimmer and an Austrian scythe, but it’s a good 6-8 day job with either. Is there something that I can buy that can cut this in a day or so? I don’t have a tractor, van, fork-lift, or the like, and the access is poor. As such I need something that is both small enough to fit in a car-boot and light enough to lift, push, etc. I want a tool that can cut 4-6 months growth of this grass, etc. 2-3 times a year. Does anyone have some recommendations?

Am I correct in thinking that a power scythe would be to bulky, heavy and expensive? I was considering a very powerful second-hand Stihl brushcutter or a wheeled trimmer, but, whilst quicker that what I’m currently using, would either be a sufficient enough upgrade to warrant buying one or the other? Ultimately, the machines I’ve ended up considering are the following:
SHERPA Paddock Master Drum Mower
SHERPA Bravo Rough Cutter

I would be delighted to hear any advice. Many thanks.
Old 21-09-2016, 12:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/09/2016 17:04, SJP wrote:
[...]

I would have thought any half decent petrol strimmer with the correct
cord, shoulder harness and cowhorn handles would do the job in less than
a day (although you may need/deserve a beer after) :~)

--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 21-09-2016, 09:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I invested in DR wheeled trimmer-mower which I find easier and quicker than a normal strimmer. As a small person, wielding a robust strimmer is heavy on the arms and shoulders after a while. This trimmer also has very thick strong cord so it cuts through tough docks etc easily.
Janet G
Old 21-09-2016, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/09/2016 17:04, SJP wrote:

[...]

Having read the previous posts, I shall leave experience/expertise on
machinery and tools to others, but I did wonder if you might weaken the
grass at least with the use of yellow rattle?
--
Spider
On high ground in SE London

Old 21-09-2016, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

charliepridham wrote:
On 20/09/2016 17:04, SJP wrote:
[...]

NO, not really, the 'under the trees' bit makes it take a *long* time
in my experience.

--
Chris Green
·
Old 23-09-2016, 03:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 18:04:09 +0200, SJP
wrote:

Hello,

I’ve recently taken on the management of a somewhat overgrown 1.5 acre
orchard and I’m struggling to keep the thick hill-grass, docks, nettles
and thistles under control. I’ve used a mixture of a medium-powered
strimmer and an Austrian scythe, but it’s a good 6-8 day job with
either. Is there something that I can buy that can cut this in a day or
so? I don’t have a tractor, van, fork-lift, or the like, and the access
is poor. As such I need something that is both small enough to fit in a
car-boot and light enough to lift, push, etc. I want a tool that can cut
4-6 months growth of this grass, etc. 2-3 times a year. Does anyone have
some recommendations?

snip
I would be delighted to hear any advice. Many thanks.

Is the orchard well fenced? 2-4 sheep on 1.5 acres should keep the
grass under control, improve the soil and eventually eliminate most
weeds. They browse a little on the trees but shouldnt cause any real
harm. I do this myself.
Old 23-09-2016, 03:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Sheep?

That would be my solution.
Old 23-09-2016, 09:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 11:07:46 +1000, Jeßus wrote:

Is the orchard well fenced? 2-4 sheep on 1.5 acres should keep the
grass under control, improve the soil and eventually eliminate most
weeds. They browse a little on the trees but shouldnt cause any real
harm. I do this myself.

Any particular favourite? Apple, Pear, a nice bit of Birch for
breakfast.

G.Harman

Old 23-09-2016, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Sheep don't like long grass. Goats would do but they would like low
branches as well.
Old 23-09-2016, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David Hill wrote:

I've recently taken on the management of a somewhat overgrown 1.5 acre
orchard and I'm struggling to keep the thick hill-grass, docks, nettles
and thistles under control. ...

Sheep don't like long grass. Goats would do but they would like low
branches as well.

It's the non-grasses that are the real problem for grazing. I don't
know whether goats and donkeys will eat those, in real life rather
than fiction, but none of sheep, horses or even cattle will. Cattle
would do, if the non-grasses were cut down at least a couple of times
a year, but only then.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 24-09-2016, 03:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

That is true. You would have to get the grass short initially, but
after that...

Goats would do but they would like low
branches as well.

Yes, I wouldn't use goats in that situation.

Orchard - Orchard-South-2.jpg (1/1) Donn Thorson Garden Photos 0 27-05-2009 10:46 AM
Managing grass with bulbs rjbl United Kingdom 5 03-04-2009 08:00 AM
Managing pressurized filter and pump? Jack Ponds 2 07-05-2006 05:46 PM
Managing Animal Waste ta Permaculture 1 14-08-2003 07:32 PM
Managing the Broad Bean harvest Steve Harris United Kingdom 6 03-07-2003 12:56 PM