Old 17-10-2016, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Use shreddings to fill cracks in clay?

We have some serious cracks in our garden which is heavy clay, I can easily lose a 4 foot cane down them! I should add that this is in SW France and not UK, but the question I have is still valid.
We have cleared a huge amount of wood and greenery over recent weeks, mostly from a huge laurel hedge and several fir and fig trees, the wood is not really suitable size for burning so it has been going to the local dump. We are thinking of buying a good quality shredder so that most of it can be shredded and thus make it easier to dispose of.
However I had a brainwave (I think), why not shred it and feed it into the huge cracks in the clay? it may be time consuming but i thought it may kill two birds with one stone, namely save me trips to the dump, and getting some organic matter into the ground, we have around 3000 sq metres so there are plenty of cracks to fill.. is this a reasonable idea?...
Old 17-10-2016, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17 Oct 2016 16:30, French_Fry wrote:
[...]

I don't see why not if you have the time and patience required although
how much benefit anything more than maybe 2 feet below ground level will
have on soil constitution is arguable.

--
Flying on Per Ardua ad Astra
Old 17-10-2016, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/10/16 16:30, French_Fry wrote:
[...]

The first question I would ask is why is the clay so badly cracked? In
my experience (gardening on clay in the south of England), deep cracks
in clay are a result of the clay drying out. This is usually the result
of drought, often compounded by tall trees extracting more water from
the ground than can be replenished by subterranean water movement.

When you fill up cracks in dry clay with something non-compressible,
when it finally rains and the clay expands you will get heave. In what
direction that heave goes should exercise your thoughts. If it moves
towards buildings you might be in trouble, as unless designed with
heave-proof foundations they could move.

By all means shred the trees, but spread the shreddings on the surface
rather than under it. A good mulch will help prevent the soil drying out
in future, and as it slowly decomposes will add nutrients to the soil.

--

Jeff
Old 17-10-2016, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Zephirum wrote:

I don't see why not if you have the time and patience required although
how much benefit anything more than maybe 2 feet below ground level will
have on soil constitution is arguable.

Not really. Both drainage and roots go down further - it won't feed
the plants much, but will help with water.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-10-2016, 05:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17 Oct 2016 19:43, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Zephirum wrote:

I don't see why not if you have the time and patience required although
how much benefit anything more than maybe 2 feet below ground level will
have on soil constitution is arguable.

Not really. Both drainage and roots go down further - it won't feed
the plants much, but will help with water.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I really meant that it would be below the deepest likely cultivation
level and would be unlikely to mix much.

--
Flying on Per Ardua ad Astra

Old 18-10-2016, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Zephirum wrote:

I don't see why not if you have the time and patience required although
how much benefit anything more than maybe 2 feet below ground level will
have on soil constitution is arguable.

Not really. Both drainage and roots go down further - it won't feed
the plants much, but will help with water.

I really meant that it would be below the deepest likely cultivation
level and would be unlikely to mix much.

Yes, agreed. Pretty well the only thing it would do at that depth
is improve drainage and water retention, but that's not to be
sniffed at on clay (or sand).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-10-2016, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18 Oct 2016 10:10, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Zephirum wrote:

I don't see why not if you have the time and patience required although
how much benefit anything more than maybe 2 feet below ground level will
have on soil constitution is arguable.

Not really. Both drainage and roots go down further - it won't feed
the plants much, but will help with water.

I really meant that it would be below the deepest likely cultivation
level and would be unlikely to mix much.

Yes, agreed. Pretty well the only thing it would do at that depth
is improve drainage and water retention, but that's not to be
sniffed at on clay (or sand).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thinking more though might it not provide a safe nesting haven for
unwanted and damaging creatures?

--
Flying on Per Ardua ad Astra
Old 21-10-2016, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/10/2016 18:49, Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

On the whole, I'm inclined to agree with Jeff on this. I would also
suggest that, before mulching the soil with your shreddings, you might
try filling the cracks with sharp grit or grit sand. For one thing, it
will be much easier to pour into the cracks. It will not cause heave,
but will help with drainage and the gradual breakdown of your clay. I am
in South London on very heavy clay and I find sharp aggregates the best
way by far of opening up my clay and giving plants better drainage.

As Jeff says, lay your mulch on the soil surface as thickly as you can.
The worms will take it down into the soil for you. They do not have
spines, so have no concerns about wrecking their backs.

--
Spider
On high ground in SE London

What to do with shreddings Janet Galpin United Kingdom 21 19-10-2005 06:02 PM
shreddings H Ryder United Kingdom 7 23-07-2005 09:09 AM
Cracks - what to fill with Nick Upson United Kingdom 4 02-10-2003 08:02 PM
Shreddings Snowman United Kingdom 9 31-07-2003 05:33 PM
Clay Clay and More Clay BTInternet News United Kingdom 0 19-03-2003 09:32 PM